Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Moroccan Vibe-ish (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/moroccan-vibe-ish-t294091.html)

fred singer 01-16-2018 08:24 AM

awesome quilt

Kwiltr 01-16-2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman (Post 7983912)
Beautiful quilt, Kwiltr. Love the colours, the pattern and the quilting. I am interested in the fact that you double batted it. I have been thinking of doing the same thing and am wondering if you have any tips or comments on doing that.

Thank you! Well, this was my first time with using double batting, so I am so far from an expert on that! I love the added texture it gives on the quilting, but I found it a bit challenging in some areas to keep a curved ruler down against the hopping foot. You really have to be vigilant or it'll pop right up and over! Especially toward the ends of the rulers. I had a little bit of trouble with puckering and needed to raise my hopping foot a bit so the fabric wasn't being pushed at all. I think feathering on the bias pieced edges were the worst places for that. Since I consider myself still new to the whole long arming thing, I was nervous about something getting skewed in the process, so I was always making sure my layers were where they were supposed to be when advancing. I was going to work my way down the quilt as I went, but got nervous and ended up ditching and stitching some motif outlines and pin basting all the way to the bottom of the quilt to get it stabilized, then worked backwards up the quilt. when I told this to one long armer I know, I got the eye popping look and gasp! But it worked out just fine :).

Kwiltr 01-16-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 7983922)
I hope you plan to enter your quilt in a show. It is amazing and so is your quilting!

Thank you Sharon! I'm flattered that you think it's show worthy, but no, I don't have any aspirations of show quilting at this time or probably anytime later. I quilt for the enjoyment of it, the challenge it provides and the sharing of it.

jillmc 01-16-2018 08:54 AM

Thank you for sharing your talents! Wonderful quilt in every aspect. I love the dimension that your double batting adds.

Kwiltr 01-16-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter (Post 7983854)
What a beautiful quilt. I love everything about it, the design, colours and quilting. Totally in awe of the way you've quilted it, it must have taken ages.

Thank you! Well, I'm a slow quilter, not terribly efficient yet, so yes it took me awhile. It was on the quilt frame for about two months, and I tried to quilt a bit every day when possible. Of course it ran toward Christmas, so I really had to get going on it so I could my Christmas projects quilted!!

Poakie 01-16-2018 09:40 AM

OMG! That is beautiful and your quilting is amazing. Love it.

trolleystation 01-16-2018 09:46 AM

Eye catching quilt.

Mariposa 01-16-2018 10:02 AM

Beautifully done! Will be lovely on the bed! :)

feline fanatic 01-16-2018 10:45 AM

Really love all the quilting you did on this. It helps emphasize the piecing while standing on its own. I also like the back and think this could really be displayed either way so truly a double sided quilt. You should really enter in a show, even if just a local one so others can enjoy and get inspiration from it. Thanks also for coming back and detailing on the rulers used.

Teen 01-16-2018 10:48 AM

Gorgeous and outstanding quilting. In awe of your talent...