Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My $20 Rowenta iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-%2420-rowenta-iron-t211841.html)

marymay 01-26-2013 06:44 AM

I made the same deal. They had 3 of them at the store that I was in. So I bought all 3. Giving the other 2 to my 2 BFs for BDay gifts.

coopah 01-26-2013 06:57 AM

I have a Rowenta and paid way more than you, so I think you have a great deal! This Rowenta has never given me any difficulty and I love the heft of it. Plus it puts out so much steam (shhhh...don't tell the quilt police). Also, read the directions that came with that iron. It's not necessarily true that you have to use bottled water. I don't and haven't had a problem with using well water. Good Buy. I hope it serves you well for a long time. :-)

MarleneC 01-26-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 (Post 5811730)
I've heard that they are made in two different places, Germany and China. The German ones are said to be excellent and the China ones not so much. I'm not sure how much authenticity there is to that but it makes sense to me. That said, I think $20 is a grat price no matter where its made!!

I had a Rowenta made in Germany and it leaked and spit and finally stopped heating. I bought another one and it started leaking at about 6 mos. I paid a lot for them. Never again. I have a Reliable now and love it.

Flo Pierce 01-26-2013 07:36 AM

This was a great deal. I have one similar and it has done a great job so far. I have had much pricier flat irons and don't
think they do any better job.

meanmom 01-26-2013 08:32 AM

I had a Rowenta that I loved. I paid over $100 for it. I lasted less that 2 years and when I contacted Rowneta they just told me I was SOL about it. They did suggest doing the self clean once a month to make it last longer. While I loved the iron I will never ever buy another. I feel a $100+ iron should last longer. Good luck.

Pat G 01-26-2013 08:41 AM

I bought a Rowenta iron for $20 at Big Lots. That thing leaked so bad it would not hold any water. I returned it to the store but they refused to take it back since I didn't have the receipt. That was my first experience with Big Lots so that's when I learned that they take in "refurbished" appliances. So I've learned to read the boxes carefully but won't buy any appliances there anymore.
It goes back to the saying "if it looks too good to be true, it usually isn't". Never dreamed a store would sell defective items though.

kyquiltlover1942 01-26-2013 09:11 AM

You got a great deal. I paid about $80. for mine. After about 6 years, it caught fire. Don't leave it pluged in. I did love it until then. I liked all the steam holes in the sole plate.

Morag 01-26-2013 09:21 AM

My hubby bought mine for me 20 years ago and I still use it almost daily. It has never given me the first days trouble and I would not buy any other iron if I ever have to :)

richardswife 01-26-2013 10:09 AM

I also have had trouble with my last one not shuting off and also leaking. Maybe I just got a "lemon". but now I have bought a Shark. I havent tried it yet, but hope it works good.

richardswife 01-26-2013 10:11 AM

Even though I had trouble with mine, you really can't go wrong on a $20.00 deal :)