Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 1st Quilt Top - unfinished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-1st-quilt-top-unfinished-t41677.html)

PJO 04-04-2010 01:40 PM

I think it looks great!!!!

no1jan 04-04-2010 02:41 PM

I think it is great! I love the country hearts. My first quilt which isn't finished yet has some uneven seams etc. Oh well, I look at it and think I can only do better.

As they say, you learn from your mistakes!

Great job!

Tippy 04-04-2010 03:01 PM

#1.. 5 years old is NOT old fabric..lol.. I have some in my stash that is 20 years old and it does not affect the quality..
#2.. anyone who attempts a quilt with strips of printed plaids or rows of squares, is just asking for crookedness..
NOT because of their cutting abilities.. but because it is not usually printed on a true grain.
#3.. I'd advise you to be a bit kinder to yourself. I think you did an awesome job.

As to the quality of the fabric.. you use what you have.. that applies to all of us. and to what you can afford. I say just keep trying.. if you have the desire and determination you can do it. I frequently still use scissors to cut stuff out.. I also use all sorts of rulers, rotary cutters and a rotary ruler.. which is a combination device.. a ruler with an attached rotary cutter.
It is a timesaver for strips.

ToucanSam 04-04-2010 03:24 PM

I think it looks great and you should be really proud! Keep up the good work!

tslowery 04-04-2010 03:26 PM

Ditto Tippy....well said...I think you did a wonderful job and now the bad news...........YOU WONT BE ABLE TO STOP NOW..........LOL

sewNso 04-04-2010 03:28 PM

It's beautiful. the important thing is to get it done. you get better with practice. if you get to use it, and see it done. that is motivation to keep doing it.

Lisa 04-04-2010 03:41 PM

I think it looks great, esp. a first time quilt! Great job. Personally I think the teacher might have been a bit out of line to say what she did in the first place!

CraftsByRobin 04-04-2010 04:52 PM

I thank you all ... this is motivation for me to keep going ... I am hard on myself ... but I realize that it is my first and I've learned SO MUCH ... and this is what I wanted to do ... learn! I've learned quite abit on this board just reading.

I'm signed up to learn machine quilting (where you put all three layers together) and then later in the month I'll be taking a class on binding.

Today I went to Half-Priced books and bought me a book called "Encyclopedia of Quilting" by Donna Kooler. It looked really cool, and has 20 projects in it. I hope to learn a few things while checking the book out!

Anyway, thank you all for the kind words. I'm already working on the next quilt called "Confetti" ... and I'm also wanting to do the BOMs listed on this site.

mytwopals 04-05-2010 07:27 AM

It looks real nice to me. Good job. :thumbup:

CraftsByRobin 04-05-2010 10:13 AM

You know ... I just realized what I typed ... hope I didn't offend anyone ... I'm sure you all know what machine quilting is ... (had a duh moment) ...

I must learn not to type replies while exhausted!