Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first finished quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-finished-quilt-t186545.html)

weasier22 04-19-2012 05:03 AM

Nice job! Love the fabrics in this quilt!

Hemlock Tea 04-19-2012 05:08 AM

Thanks! I've made several quilts since then, but they were all charity quilts (Quilts for Kids, etc.), and of course lots of tops waiting to be quilted. I just got a machine that can handle quilting larger quilts, so I'll be finishing those up and sharing them soon, I hope.

emt2004 04-19-2012 05:10 AM

Very nice! Was it hard working with the minkee? I love that fabric, but it looks hard to work with....... Michele

burchquilts 04-19-2012 05:18 AM

What a fabulous quilt! The fabric goes so nicely with the pattern. Has the fabric "grown on" you? I do the same thing. I buy a bunch of fabric while caught up in the moment & then later wonder what I was thinking about. I hope my "oops" purchases turn out half as beautiful as this one of yours did!

Hemlock Tea 04-19-2012 05:34 AM

Thanks! The minkee was a little hard to work with, but I follow a no-fear quilting philosophy- it's just fabric, and I refuse to be afraid of it ;). I have a few uneven spots on the back where it shifted as I was quilting, I would have shown these but they didn't really show up in the photo.

As far as the fabric growing on me- I bought it because I like the "softness" of the colors (if that makes sense), if not the palette, and also I liked the prints. It doesn't really fit my style, and I would have given it away, but I needed something to "personalize" my office when I got my promotion, and grabbed this quilt off the shelf. I'd say it has grown on me, because I haven't replaced it yet!

QUILTNMO 04-19-2012 05:35 AM

nice job!!!!

momjoy6 04-19-2012 06:02 AM

Nice job, keep up the good work! Glad you went back and got it done.

CRELLA 04-19-2012 06:05 AM

off to a whole bunch of pretty quilts

momjoy6 04-19-2012 06:07 AM

Have you ever tried the temp spray adhesive? It works wonders for avoiding shifting on the front or backside as you are quilting. I use it now for most of my quilting, FM or SITD, and it makes it so much easier to be sure of the results. I have never used, or don't even think I know what Minkee is. But my suggestion is to try the temp adhesive spray and see the difference

Originally Posted by Hemlock Tea (Post 5153360)
Thanks! The minkee was a little hard to work with, but I follow a no-fear quilting philosophy- it's just fabric, and I refuse to be afraid of it ;). I have a few uneven spots on the back where it shifted as I was quilting, I would have shown these but they didn't really show up in the photo.

As far as the fabric growing on me- I bought it because I like the "softness" of the colors (if that makes sense), if not the palette, and also I liked the prints. It doesn't really fit my style, and I would have given it away, but I needed something to "personalize" my office when I got my promotion, and grabbed this quilt off the shelf. I'd say it has grown on me, because I haven't replaced it yet!

malega 04-19-2012 06:09 AM

Wow you did a great job looks so very beautiful.