Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Okay--I had to show off my first quilt! lol (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/okay-i-had-show-off-my-first-quilt-lol-t33704.html)

barnbum 01-09-2010 07:35 PM

I especially love the look of that line of stitches down the middle of the borders. Oh goodness.....

earthwalker 01-09-2010 07:36 PM

This quilt oozes warmth, charm and love. All very difficult to achieve, no matter what the skill level. I can understand why your daughter loves it so much, so mend with pride...after all it's a "keeper".

Marcia 01-09-2010 07:44 PM

Karla, when I look at your quilt, first I see a lot of love and determination from a woman who really wanted to be a quilter. Next I see all the love and warmth and comfort that Rachel has gotten from it. What a beautiful quilt!!!

My first quilt was cut with scissors using cardboard templates, hand pieced and hand quilted---and I still have it. It has faded, torn and worn thin, but I hang on it for sentimental reasons.

tlrnhi 01-09-2010 09:45 PM

It makes me sad that I cannot see the pictures. I don't know why...:( :( :(
But I'm sure it's beautiful. All quilts that are made with love are beautiful!

Janstar 01-09-2010 09:52 PM

Thanks for showing us this cozy, warm looking quilt Karla! You can tell it's very loved, hence the patching.

Jim's Gem 01-09-2010 10:38 PM

Karla, what matters most is that you made it and you lovingly gave it to your daughter and she thinks it is special and so it is a beautiful quilt!!!

rootyr 01-10-2010 03:23 AM

A cute story!

Lisanne 01-10-2010 03:45 AM

To me, that looks like a real quilt.

By the way, how I wish they still had those small floral fabrics today!

ranger 01-10-2010 03:47 AM

Oh, what a nice story. The quilt may be 'not quite perfect'[ but I understand why your daughter loves it.......it's the love that the quilt represents.
I still have my first quilt and still love it,even though it is ugly. How did we ever manage to make anything 'quilty' without a rotary cutter?

barnbum 01-10-2010 03:54 AM

Oh you ladies will love anything! Here's the proof. :wink: Having just finished 30 Triple Irish Chain squares that needed 36 seams pinned per square, the only thing I appreciate about this quilt is the wild abandon I must have used to throw it together. Oh course I love that Rachel loves it. :-D

One of the other first quilts I made was just a panel with some quilting lines. It has read, white, and blue on the front. I added three equal width borders and finished it off. The purpose was to practice quilting techniques. Let's just say I still needed LOTS of practice. Well--my son loved that quilt. I remember one night he had lost some Silly Putty in his bed. The next night we found it stuck to the quilt. I tried to get it out, but it left a spot. I said to the sad son "It's just a dumb ole quilt anyway." He howled "It's not a dumb old quilt TO ME!" That was an eye opener and I worked some more at getting the stain out. It didn't come out, but it's just a small spot and he has four others to use now. :wink:

The lesson here is to make your first quilts when there's a child around young enough to appreciate the efforts! :lol: