Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Stupid Sylvia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/stupid-sylvia-t113074.html)

Cuilteanna 04-04-2011 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah CA
It is beautiful!! If you do the Dear Jane, or the Farmers Wife, or whatever, since they are so labor intensive, why don't you just do the quilt but ALLOW yourself to work on one other quilt in between the DJ or FW project? That way you will love it and also be able to do another quilt or two as you are working on the bigger project. Go ahead, give yourself permission, haha.

No Dear Jane in my immediate future, I'm afraid. The insanity has now passed and the book is packed away. The problem with a second project is that I walk into the room, can't decide which to work on, and walk out again having done nothing!

Cuilteanna 04-04-2011 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
How large are those blocks? They look tiny!

Six inches finished. They only look tiny because the quilt is huge!

gramajo 04-04-2011 10:46 PM

I can understand why you call this absolutely gorgeous quilt "Stupid Sylvia". The name appeals to my sense of quirkiness. As time passes & you look at "Stupid Sylvia", you will be so proud of your accomplishment & will smile at the frustration you went through.

The 1st time I made flying geese was for a mystery quilt There were a lot of them. I thought I'd go nuts making those geese. I named the quilt "Screw the Goose". It is now one of my favorite quilts & I'm glad I fought my way through them.

BTW My LQS has Sylvia's Bridal Quilt as a BOM with 4 blocks a month. That is a much easier way to go about this quilt as one block only takes me a couple of days (with my limited quilting time due to the fact that unfortunately I have to work LOL). I have time to work on other projects at the same time, so I don't get too frustrated with Sylvia.

I don't think I could have done what you did--choosing your own fabrics & working on it continuously. This BOM is great for me--fabrics & blocks to do are chosen for me each month. They started us out making the easier blocks, then working up to more challenging ones. It has been a great way for me to learn. I consider myself an advanced beginner or beginning intermediate quilter.

Stupid Sylvia is gorgeous. Pat yourself on the back!

gramajo 04-04-2011 10:48 PM

How large is the finished quilt?

Meadow Vista 04-04-2011 10:52 PM

Wow! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

k3n 04-04-2011 11:10 PM

This is beautiful! What a work of art. Stupid or not! Shame you shelved the plans for Jackass Jane though! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

cheryl rearick 04-04-2011 11:13 PM

very beautiful, I am in awe when I see quilts like your and don't feel I even know the right word to describe it's beauty. :)

Momsmurf 04-04-2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
How large are those blocks? They look tiny!

Six inches finished. They only look tiny because the quilt is huge!

Large quilt! Beautiful....

malega 04-05-2011 03:26 AM

What a stunning quilt.absolutely adorable.

justlooking 04-05-2011 04:19 AM

Beautiful! I'm sure it took a long time that's why you called it stupid. Well worth the wait?