Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Trouble with the floral Bargello...1/2 done, but uneven at the end... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/trouble-floral-bargello-1-2-done-but-uneven-end-t110159.html)

barnbum 03-23-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
Blocking will definitely take care of it. It's not as bad as you think. I would finish it and then do the blocking. Beautiful quilt!

Oh I needed your encouraging words!! Thanks! :-D

Cherylsea 03-23-2011 05:50 PM

Fix it as best you can then cut it even if you need to. That quilt will be so gorgeous that no one will ever think of looking for a mistake!!! Don't know if I like this better than the log cabin but I would be ecstatic if I made anything half as beautiful.

DebraK 03-23-2011 05:57 PM

oh wow, that is gorgeous! You do great things with florals.

MTS 03-23-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I watched it all and you're so right--I'll be stopping in at Joanne's for some of this magical stuff!! :-D She said it doesn't work if the block is in the quilt, but I think in this case, it ought to work fine. I'll just work with the bottom row.

I thought it might as you don't really have blocks in the traditional sense - it's almost like treating your entire quilt as one big block.

And starch is readily available at your supermarket or local CVS. I use the Heavy Duty Niagra brand, but there are as many opinions on that as there are about everything else. ;) ;)

Can't wait to see the finished product.

debcavan 03-23-2011 06:31 PM

I would try to block it and if that fails cut it off square and put borders on. Every one who sees it will think that is how it is suppose to be

BETTY62 03-23-2011 07:00 PM

It's beautiful. I hope you can get it squared up.

gaigai 03-23-2011 07:12 PM

You've already gotten the best advice here, especially from MTS. I think you can starch it back into shape, it isn't that far off. And it's beautiful!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!

BevF 03-23-2011 07:17 PM

It's hard to tell: The fourth row up and blocks 5-11 from the left, are they sewn deep enough at the bottom? I love your selection of florals. Looks lovely.

Janquiltz 03-23-2011 11:01 PM

If it doesn't block back in to shape so that you have straight even edge, have you considered perhaps "going with the flow" so to speak and creating an gently curved bottom to the quilt? The bargello has those beautiful curves in the pattern, couldn't you curve the bottom border to match and compliment the curves in the quilt design? Just a thought, and before you did anything you could cut a curved shape out of freezer paper and lay it over the bottom of you quilt to get an idea of how it would look with a curved edge.

barnbum 03-24-2011 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Janquiltz
If it doesn't block back in to shape so that you have straight even edge, have you considered perhaps "going with the flow" so to speak and creating an gently curved bottom to the quilt? The bargello has those beautiful curves in the pattern, couldn't you curve the bottom border to match and compliment the curves in the quilt design? Just a thought, and before you did anything you could cut a curved shape out of freezer paper and lay it over the bottom of you quilt to get an idea of how it would look with a curved edge.

Now that's an interesting idea... thank you. :-D