Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   'Turning over a new leaf' OBW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/turning-over-new-leaf-obw-t34517.html)

k3n 01-19-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I am still trying to get up the courage to do one of these. I am loving the ones I look at.

Do it! It's not that hard, I mean it! And your first won't be your last, I'll guarantee it. :-D

Esqmommy 01-19-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Yes, it's a keeper. It's 60" x 48" and it's going to hang in my living room. And that's about the last of my wall space gone! :lol:

You can alternate quilts with the seasons or your mood!! Then you've got an art gallery instead of "wall space"!!!

gaigai 01-19-2010 08:39 AM

Wow! You done gooooooood, girlfriend! It looks wonderful! But it looks smaller than it probably is. My first thought was, "Oh no! I didn't send her enough of the fabric!" I don't remember how much I did send, but I probably should have doubled it so you could have a bed-sized quilt. Sorry. :cry:

Anyhow, you did an amazing job! And your FMQ looks just fine!!

Ducky 01-19-2010 08:55 AM

:shock: It's beautiful, K! I love the fabric that Gai sent. You do such wonderful work.

k3n 01-19-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Wow! You done gooooooood, girlfriend! It looks wonderful! But it looks smaller than it probably is. My first thought was, "Oh no! I didn't send her enough of the fabric!" I don't remember how much I did send, but I probably should have doubled it so you could have a bed-sized quilt. Sorry. :cry:

Anyhow, you did an amazing job! And your FMQ looks just fine!!

Oh, you! I can't remember how much you sent either but I WANT it hanging on my wall where I can see it and it's 4' x 5' so it's perfect! So there! :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :-D

BKinCO 01-19-2010 09:11 AM

I love it! I just love looking at it!

k3n 01-19-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
I love it! I just love looking at it!

Thank you so much! :-D

billswife99 01-19-2010 09:38 AM

Oh now that one turned out great! I really like the colors! I am going to have to suck it up and try the cubes now. Can you use the original fabric for them or do you think it needs to be different? I will have to do some checking to find something for Dad's Fall OBW. He would love trying to figure out that extra puzzle in the middle. LOL

k3n 01-19-2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by billswife99
Oh now that one turned out great! I really like the colors! I am going to have to suck it up and try the cubes now. Can you use the original fabric for them or do you think it needs to be different? I will have to do some checking to find something for Dad's Fall OBW. He would love trying to figure out that extra puzzle in the middle. LOL

In this one, I used different fabrics and I think that works best. Something that 'reads' as a solid in light, medium and dark of the same colourway. I guess tonals, blends or batiks would be good - these are scraps from my stash.

In the 'Woofers' one I did, I used the main fabric and the cubes nearly disappeared. (Also I didn't have the second book then so the cubes in that one aren't very 3D) I tried to cut from within the fabric in light, medium and dark places. Depends on the effect you're looking for I guess. Here's a link to it but I think you saw it before. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23403-1.htm

In this Leaf one, I tried to place them so the light side of a cube was against light hexagons and dark against dark because I wanted them to blend. A more striking effect would be to reverse this. Sorry, favourite subject, rambling! :oops: :lol:

billswife99 01-19-2010 10:44 AM

You right! I will have to find something else, but you know any excuse to go fabric shopping will do in a pinch! :mrgreen:

I'm going to have to add that solid block too. Thank you, thank you for getting my creative juices going again. I have really been slouching since the holidays.