Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Your opinion please--what's wrong here? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/your-opinion-please-whats-wrong-here-t46470.html)

dawn payne 05-21-2010 10:03 AM

It's perfect! You have given them a beautiful memory of their dad! Years ago I made a cancer quilt for my Grandpa who was dying of lung cancer. I held off giving it to him, thinking he would give up.(Not clear thinking, I know). I gave it to my grandmother after he passed and told her that every time she wrapped herself in it she should think of Grandpa giving her a giant hug. I made just over 400 quilts for cancer several years ago for a group here in our town.It's very rewarding.Your kids will cherish these for years to come!

nwm50 05-21-2010 11:50 AM

Leave it as it is...great job. Came from your heart going to theirs, that what matters!

gramquilter2 05-21-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I think the flower print draws the eyes away from the actual design of the quilt. I love the way you used all the different shirts in this quilt, gives it personality. I am sure it will truly be loved.

I agree the flower print is a bit much-you could try a black inner border. Black seems to help everything pop.

Kara 05-21-2010 04:19 PM

Put a narrow border of the floral on the sides. That would help "close" the sides and the quilt will have an ending point on the sides.

I think you have done a beautiful job. It such a heart-felt undertaking and something I hope the children cherish.

CRicart 05-21-2010 04:55 PM

That is beautiful! It will be amost an "I Spy" experience as they recognize the fabrics.

sewingrams 05-21-2010 06:15 PM

The quilt is very pretty and the kids will appreciate it a lot because it was made from something of their Dad's.
But if you aren't happy with how it came together put it on a bed and see how it looks there. Being for girls I might add a pink border to accent the material with the flowers. I have 3 grandaughters and they all love Pink, even the bright hot colors. Each one has a quilt with it in it, it makes it more girly they think.

tcnmom 05-21-2010 06:45 PM

I agree that a solid border would be much better. Use the cuffs etc. on the edge of a pillowcase. If you have a whole shirt left over, cut below the collar with the front buttoned and make a throw pillow. Use the back of the shirt for the back of the pillow and you sew the pocket to the back of the pillow with a picture of their Father or some memory piece.

SewExtremeSeams 05-21-2010 07:58 PM

Rachel, I can't see anything wrong with your quilt. It is so kind of you to make these for this Father's kids.

Chigger Holler Quilter 05-21-2010 08:34 PM

I am sure that these will be cherished as reminders of a lost parent.Looking forward to seeing them completed! You and "Mom" have made the best decisions for both of the quilts! A sad, but beautiful story.

ledraj 05-22-2010 05:58 AM

It's wonderful. I like how you added in the extras. What a special memory these will be someday.