• Pictures
  • Puff quilt >
  • Puff quilt

• Puff quilt

Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
    Originally Posted by grammypatty7
    Originally Posted by dbarbey
    I used the scraps from the bug quilt I made for this puff quilt. I will say I liked the looks of it but will never tackle the job of making another one. LOL
    This is beautiful! I've never tackled one of these but have made 2 biscuit quilts and will probably tackle another one as it has turned out to be my oldest granddaughter's favorite throw and the biscuit throw is mine. The biscuit quilt is a huge queen throw so she has no need for that yet but it needs to have some of the biscuits stitched together and I may suggest she use it during her next visit and may just wait and show her how to do the mending and see if she would like to have it. I love your puff quilt but don't know if I'd have the patience to do it. I only tolerated the biscuit quilt because I'm a scrap quilter and every time I worked with a fabric, I'd also cut out a biscuit and accumulated them in a laundry basket until there were enough to put together. The putting together was honestly the worst part as I had to do them by hand. I assume you had to put your puffs together by hand as well.
    Patty
    Do you have a link for biscuit quilt? and maybe a pic? I thought they were the same, what is the difference?
    Thanks a bunch!
    Biscuit quilts: your puff and my biscuit are both considered biscuit quilts. Go to www.google.com and do a search for biscuit quilts and you'll see several links.

The template for the one I did is a hexagon. The top and bottom fabrics can be the same or different which really lends a lot of color to your quilt but also allows you to use up your scraps. Tomorrow I'll try to remember to take a photo and post for you to see but I don't have a clue where my pattern is anymore. I did buy a hexagon template a few years ago and would just use it.

1. cut a hexagon out of fabric for the top and bottom plus a hexagon out of batting - I prefer to use polyester as I love the way it puffs.
    2. Sew up the sides on the sewing machine leaving one side open to turn.
    3. Sew the open end close.
    4. Make up a collection of these - I filled a laundry basket and then assembled. I just did a hand whip stitch. It probably could be done on the sewing machine but I enjoy doing hand sewing so for me it was relaxing and I did it while watching TV in the living room and watching my 2 quilts grow.

I'm wanting to make another for so my granddaughter can have one so I'll be starting on it pretty soon. It wears and washes beautifully. I have a couple of seams that have pulled apart and need to be redone but that'll only take a couple of minutes and I just need to do it.

Look for the photo probably tomorrow evening. I need to run to JoAnn's in the morning to pick up some fabric for the round robin quilt I'm working on. There is nothing in my stash that will work and there wasn't enough left of the fabric that was included so I have to see what I can come up with that will fit in the designers color pallette. I already have the border figured out.
    Patty
    Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 PM
    Banned

I like it, great job. thank you for sharing. Penny
    Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
    Originally Posted by dbarbey
    I used the scraps from the bug quilt I made for this puff quilt. I will say I liked the looks of it but will never tackle the job of making another one. LOL
    This is beautiful! I've never tackled one of these but have made 2 biscuit quilts and will probably tackle another one as it has turned out to be my oldest granddaughter's favorite throw and the biscuit throw is mine. The biscuit quilt is a huge queen throw so she has no need for that yet but it needs to have some of the biscuits stitched together and I may suggest she use it during her next visit and may just wait and show her how to do the mending and see if she would like to have it. I love your puff quilt but don't know if I'd have the patience to do it. I only tolerated the biscuit quilt because I'm a scrap quilter and every time I worked with a fabric, I'd also cut out a biscuit and accumulated them in a laundry basket until there were enough to put together. The putting together was honestly the worst part as I had to do them by hand. I assume you had to put your puffs together by hand as well.
    Patty
    Do you have a link for biscuit quilt? and maybe a pic? I thought they were the same, what is the difference?
    Thanks a bunch!
    I posted the Biscuit Quilt in the pictures section - Patty's Biscuit Quilts plus scanned in the purchased template I have. Originally I made my template out of a cereal box and when it wore down purchased template plastic and made it. Later I found one the right size and bought figuring I'll be doing that pattern again some day.
    Patty
    Old 03-10-2010, 12:29 PM

For more information on Biscuit Quilts:
    1. www.google.com and search for biscuit quilts
    2. search on this board for biscuit quilts. There were two items there that came up. I just browsed them but looks like there are instructions for the puff quilt there.
    Patty
    Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Oh my! You are so kind for all the info! I truly and thankful. Definitely bookmarking this. Work is slow so I am off til monday night and I will have a chance to finish a few things, OR start a few more LOL
    Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM

Oh my! You are so kind for all the info! I truly and thankful. Definitely bookmarking this. Work is slow so I am off til monday night and I will have a chance to finish a few things, OR start a few more LOL
    You're very welcome
    Patty
    Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 PM

I love it! How long did it take you?
    Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Beautiful! I can't imagine how to make one of these, but I love your fabric and color choices. It's a real eye catcher!