Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Queen sized Log Cabin -- ready to quilt >
  • Queen sized Log Cabin -- ready to quilt

• Queen sized Log Cabin -- ready to quilt

Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 AM

When i quilted my (first) log cabin ,I used stitch in a ditch. Awsome job . Wish mine looked so good...
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 AM
    Power Poster

I am curious .. Did you have this pattern in mind when you made the blocks? Or if not, how long did you fuss with it until you came to this setting?

It is a beautiful quilt and deserves some nice quilting. I would be tempted to find a nice templet and do an overall pattern on it. Like maybe an orange peel pattern that creates a secondary pattern.
    I have seen a daisy or a feather quilted into the light sections with a varigated thread and a stitch in the ditch done on the colored sections. That was very pretty.
    Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 AM
    RST

To answer questions -- no -- I went into it without a plan. I just wanted to use up an unloved charm pack and honeybun, and figured that log cabin was a quick and mindless way to go.

I did give myself a few rules -- I tried not to duplicate the color of the center block in any of the logs, the darker fabric logs in each layer were usually the same color, but not the same fabric, and I tried not to duplicate fabric color in the logs, making each block very scrappy.

I had the blocks in process on my design wall for several weeks, but didn't really work on them much in that time. I decided that one of the problems with the blocks in process was that the yellows stood out a lot, and were going to need to be treated carefully. The reds also draw the eye, so I decided to add a higher percentage of red and yellow to the final layer of logs in order to balanced it all out better. These additional strips were not all 1.5 inches -- I just used what I had in my scrap boxes, and some were 1.25 inches, and some were as wide as 2. I trimmed the final blocks to a uniform size, but each block has significant variation in the log widths within, which I think adds to that optical illusion effect going on.

Taking a digital photo of the design wall also helped to get a sense of the values without being distracted by particular color or fabric patterns.

Once I had the 3 layer-log blocks made, I noticed that most fell into a predominately red or predominately yellow category, and I started putting them up on the design wall in various combinations. My self imposed rules were to only use the blocks I had made; to not stress over placement; to avoid having the same fabric from one block run into another.

To me, this is a very scrappy, functional, un-fancy quilt, so I'm going to back it with some flannel I have on hand, use some spare strips for a scrappy binding, and free motion it on my own machine.

Thanks for the photos of log cabin quilting -- love what you've done. My current thought is that I will use an offwhite thread on the light portions, and a medium grey on the colors. I see some star patterns in the design, so I'm going to try to highlight those, possibly with portions of "organic straight lines", though linear quilting is a lot harder on a piece of this size. The majority I will try to do a curvy meandering.

I'm planning to get this one done before Nov. -- birthday gift for my mom. But if I don't get it done until late Nov. is can be an anniversary gift for my folks.

RST
    Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 AM
    Power Poster

Wow What a great scrappy quilt! Love your use of the yellows! I think a random swirly/curvy design would be fun. Just whatever strikes your fancy at the moment! Stippling, feathers, flowers, circles, etc. Enjoy yourself!! Would love to see it when it is finished! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
    Kas

Really pretty!
    Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 AM
    Power Poster

Beautiful loc cabin.
    Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Hi, I am just starting a king size log cabin which features tons of batiks, but keeps to three types of blocks. one is all darks, one is all lights and one is half dark's & half lights. The blocks will be 11in. and the suggestion for quilting it is a feather stitch on the light sections and stitch in the ditch on the dark sections. It looks very pretty
    Old 09-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Great! I love log cabin quilts.
    Old 09-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Great Job.
    Old 09-12-2010, 02:31 AM

Beautiful job.