Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • question about old treddle machines >
  • question about old treddle machines

• question about old treddle machines

Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 AM

I have seen several of these machines at yard sales and want one really really bad. My question: Can you clean them up if they are rusted pretty bad? That is the reason I don't grab any. Live on the west coast and it is always damp here so all that I've seen are rusted! Thanks for your input.
    Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Look at the pictures on the "Vintage sewing machine shop--come and sit a spell" on the "main" part of this board and you will see over a thousand pictures of peoples old machines refurbished by the board members. And then under tutorials search for the ones on cleaning up old machines. They are mostly posted by "lostin51" so you can do a search that way.
    If you are a little bit handy, and don't mind using a lot of "elbow grease" (energy) up working on the old machines they are well worth doing. Make sure that the base you get has the peddle and flywheel, and that the machine has the shuttle and bobbin, or if it is a little newer, the bobbin case and bobbins. (You can get parts usually, but it is easier if they are all there to begin with.) White and Singer machines are the easiest to get parts for. Have fun!
    Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM

A lot of the "rejuvenators" are using something called Evaporust from Harbor Freight to take rust off the old machines, and they are having great luck. You will be amazed when you take a look at the pictures and see how the machines can be completely rejuvenated from what looks hopeless!! Good luck..you won't be sorry. Get a really cheap old machine first to try your hand at the cleaning.
    Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
    A lot of the "rejuvenators" are using something called Evaporust from Harbor Freight to take rust off the old machines, and they are having great luck. You will be amazed when you take a look at the pictures and see how the machines can be completely rejuvenated from what looks hopeless!! Good luck..you won't be sorry. Get a really cheap old machine first to try your hand at the cleaning.
    Can you use Evaporust on the iron treadle part? Or is that what you meant?
    Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM
    Power Poster

Gee, did you ever come to the right place to get your answer! Now go and rescue some of those treadles!! I would love one, too!!
    Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Originally Posted by jljack
    Can you use Evaporust on the iron treadle part? Or is that what you meant?
    You have to soak the parts in the Evaporust for at least an hour for it to work. It works really well on stuff you can immerse in the solution. I've cleaned a lot of rust away since I've read about it!
    Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 AM

A product called "Brake Off" in the auto section of Walmart is great to clean bobbins & metal parts too. Moosegirl