Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Quilt pirates?? >
  • Quilt pirates??

• Quilt pirates??

Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM

These are awful. I wouldn't use them even for Halloween!
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM

As I said earlier...they are not my style, but they are fun. My 17 year old daughter is starting to outgrow the "skulls" stage and she is a honor student heading to college in a year. She doesn't drink, date (her choice), smoke or do drugs...how do I know this...because she's at home with us most weekends. She comes home from school and hops up on the counter in the kitchen to eat a snack and tell me about her day and she still loves to curl up on the couch with me and watch movies. She's the little short one in my profile pic. The other two are my older daughters both college graduates and one has her masters degree...none are tatooed or pierced...one a speech therapist and one a science teacher at a private Christian school. The science teacher even has a skull shirt as does her police officer husband. If a few skulls are the worst I have had to put up with then I thank God for that! :)
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 PM

NOT for me--I call that ugly;wouldn't pay ten cents per yard for it.
    Now, if you have the ear of a rep...this is something I want: fireman themes for ADULT firemen
    a print that looks like a calico cat--you know, the gold, brown, white and black coloration--can't find either of these
    Also, where are the plaids?? Also need more polka dots with coordinating stripes would be yummy -- matching florals are usually easy to find
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM

Those are terrible fabrics. I would never consider buying them and would prefer not to even see them! Look like nightmares to me!
    Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Wait a minute.. how are skulls and skeltons a pirate theme?? I thought pirates had a wooden leg, a hook hand, a bandana tied around his head, big hoop earrings and perhaps a jug in his hand that had XX on the side of it.. Sailing ships with cannons.. treasure boxes.. Where do skulls come in?? That's not pirate, that's sick!
    Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 AM

I don't know that I would buy this.. but I find it hysterical.
    death is a fact of life and a skull is just another bone. I must say that I can fully relate to the skeleton with the knitting book.. when I was trying to learn to knit I truly thought it would be the death of me. Did you ever think .. this is not a celebration of death or morbidity.. it's just "documenting" another facet of this trip we take through life. To me it's no different than the folks that have to have some designer's name or logo on their butts or purses or whatever.. now THAT is a sick obsession. All opinions expressed here are purely those of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of ...............hmmm probably anyone else in the world.. but then I can only speak for myself.
    Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 AM

My husband has had cancer - 3 times. He rides bicycles with a group of other cancer survivors. Most of them do not have much hair. I make them bandanas out of these fabrics. They call themselves the NumbSkulls, and I would buy a bolt at a time for them. I would certainly use these. Maybe when you have survived a near death experience, your perspective is a little different. There is a subgroup called the NumbNuts(I think you can all work out what kind of cancer they all had!), and they are all over riding with Lance Armstrong in Adelaide at the moment. I gave them a spare bandana for him, and I hope he gets it. So, I guess it depends on your perspective.
    The NumbNuts also divide themselves when they are riding into rights and lefts, and the two none lefts ride in the centre :lol:
    The knitting one I would make myself a knitting bag with that - I knit while I am waiting at court with my clients.
    Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 AM

I can see them marked down on clearance.....several times.
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Judie
    Wait a minute.. how are skulls and skeltons a pirate theme??
    I think it's another take on the skull-and-crossbones motif that (if memory serves me correctly) was often on the flag that flew aboard the pirate ships.

Now, these fabrics are not my cup of tea but I just love posting pictures of new fabrics... whether or not I personally like them! I enjoy the rollicking good discussion that the "edgy" ones bring out. And with all our varied tastes we certainly have plenty of room for both agreement and disagreement here.
    Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Why?