Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Quilt for Teachers >
  • Quilt for Teachers

• Quilt for Teachers

Old 02-15-2014, 04:51 PM

I am so sorry that your DGD has had such a hard time being understood by her teachers through the years. I am so happy she had two wonderful understanding teachers this year. Thank you so much for fulfilling your DGD's dream to give them quilts at the end of the year. She had a wonderful idea. You did a super job on the idea, the design and all the rest of the work that went into these beautiful quilts. What teacher wouldn't love to have one of these?!

Last edited by serenitybygrace; 02-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Great job and how sweet of your Granddaughter, sounds like she is a thoughtful young lady . With a wonderful Grandparent

Judy in. Phx, AZ
    Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 PM

What a beautiful gesture!! I don't know if you realize how much the teachers will appreciate this. I was a primary grade teacher (mostly first grade). Gifts like this really tough the heart. And God bless them for understanding the child.
    Old 02-15-2014, 05:32 PM

As a teacher myself, this will be an absolute beloved treasure....love it!!!!!
    Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM

How cute. Terrific Grandma!
    Old 02-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Outstanding quilts with a beautiful story.
    Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Those quilts are amazingly adorable! Your granddaughter is a cutie to have picked 2 special teachers that she felt so inspired by them!
    Old 02-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
    Granddaughter asked me to make two quilts for her favourite teachers, first time since kindergarten she has liked any of her teachers. She has OCD and not understood by previous teachers making it very difficult for her as a student. She asked her classmates if they would color pictures of owls, because the teachers are much wiser than those previously. I found some owls on a previous quilt on QB, so drew up a copy and provided them to my granddaughter. 60 pictures were returned to me for her quilts. Here are the completed quilts she will provide to her two favourite teachers at the end of this term in 2014.[ATTACH=CONFIG]462501[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]462502[/ATTACH]
    The small white fabric on the top between the two pictures of the class and some owl fabric, is a small explanation, I typed up, after discussing with her what she wanted to say (and of course added some words of my own to help and explain) and this is what it says "Favorite teachers 2013-2014, Teacher you're smart, you're wise and that is why the owls are on this quilt for you. You showed you were caring, supportive, generous, fair and don't despise with words of wisdom, you are a guiding light.

Thankyou for caring, teaching others that help has no end and lots of other stuff. For all the knowledge and other things you gave us, I can't thank you enough, however, thankyou Favorite teacher, for acting like a friend and taking the time to show us, lessons that are hard to comprehend." (she used understand)....

My son in law and I went to the class and talked to the teachers, and I couldn't believe how kind and concerned they were for every student in their class. They told us how they keep every momentum for each student over the years. We talked about our student's health issues with the OCD, and they explained how they accepted each student as an individual and each one comes with some special need, and if they didn't treat them with respect and understanding, they were not getting them ready for the larger world.

You asked how the students put the color on the fabric - The students colored their pictures with crayola crayons. When I received them back, I pressed them with a paper towel to take the majority of the excess wax from the fabric, believe me there was a lot. I had previously soaked the white cotton in fabric medium, allowed the fabric to dry, then pressed each piece onto a full sheet of blank labels, so the fabric would be easier for the students to color on, also to keep the fabric in tact, without fraying too much.

Thanks for looking.
    Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 PM
    Power Poster

Very sweet!
    Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 PM

Thank you for honoring your DGD's teachers in such a loving way. Your DGD must be a very caring young lady to show such gratitude. Everything about the quilt is precious, especially the dialog from your DGD. As a former elementary teacher, I can say that this will be a gift that the recipients will cherish forever. Everthing about your quilt is wonderful.