Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • A reasonably priced cutting table customized to your height >
  • A reasonably priced cutting table customized to your height

• A reasonably priced cutting table customized to your height

Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
    Now that was clever! Love your 37" solution, as I am a tall girl too..
    me too, the back aches we get from bending over! :roll:
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    I bought a new table from Office Max to use as my cutting table. It is 30" X 60", perfect size for cutting. I was going to put PVC pipe on the legs, but then I didnt like the looks of that.....so this is what DH and I came up with.

First I took off the plastic cover on the bottom of the leg. I needed to see what size dowel I would need and figure out how far it would go up in the leg. I think we used a pine 5/8" dowel.

I needed to raise the table about 12" to end up at a height that would be good for me. I am 5'10" and the tabel ended up at 37" tall. The dowels came in 3 ft. lengths, so there was some left over after cutting them.
    I finished them off by staining them a walnut color. When they are put in the table and the black cap is put back on, you can hardly tell that they are there!
    Just thought I would share this with you, as it has proven to be a great, inexpensive way to have a customized sewing table at the right height!
    Love it. Made me laugh, because I saw one done with the PVC and thought...hmmmm, maybe they should paint that, HA!! Great Idea - pat hubby on the back!
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    I think I might just have to follow your example. A couple of questions: Did you anchor the dowel to the legs in any way? How many dowel rods do I need to get?
    No anchors of any kind. I can slide the table in and out on the carpet, but if you try to lift it up, they would probably fall out, because the plastic cap doesnt fit as tight on the dowel.

I purchased two 3 ft. dowel rods (and I had 2 ft. left over) I basically used four 12" pieces....so whatever size you can find the dowel length. I had to get two 3- footers. You may need less than that if you are shorter. Just make sure and measure the inner diameter of the leg, and mine didnt fit super tight. The dowel needs to be a little smaller to go in the leg. Then put a dowel in before it is cut and mark where the table leg ends...then add how many inches you need it to be raised. That is the length you would cut all 4 dowel pieces. Clear as mud?
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Love it. Made me laugh, because I saw one done with the PVC and thought...hmmmm, maybe they should paint that, HA!! Great Idea - pat hubby on the back![/quote]

Well, I would, but he just cut the darn things. He didnt want me to use his saw! He can't claim this one.....LOL!
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM

You can hardly tell.....Looks great!
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

Great idea!! Enjoy :)
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:36 AM

I am also 5'10", so I can appreciate needing a table at right height - good job!
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Very clever. Wish I had thought of that. I bought some bed risers which cost
    a lot more. The good thing is I can lower or rise it as I wish.
    Just a little word of caution on this table. It will warp if in contact with water/
    steam/heat directly or indirectly. I have two and they are both warped. Hard
    to cut straight when the table is warped. I put my pressing board on the
    table. Not a good idea.
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I have only been using it as a cutting table, and will continue to do so after your advice.
    Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
    Google Goddess

Great Idea, thanks for sharing, now all of us Quilters go out and buy a table and dowel rods so we can all have cool tables

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    I think I might just have to follow your example. A couple of questions: Did you anchor the dowel to the legs in any way? How many dowel rods do I need to get?
    No anchors of any kind. I can slide the table in and out on the carpet, but if you try to lift it up, they would probably fall out, because the plastic cap doesnt fit as tight on the dowel.

I purchased two 3 ft. dowel rods (and I had 2 ft. left over) I basically used four 12" pieces....so whatever size you can find the dowel length. I had to get two 3- footers. You may need less than that if you are shorter. Just make sure and measure the inner diameter of the leg, and mine didnt fit super tight. The dowel needs to be a little smaller to go in the leg. Then put a dowel in before it is cut and mark where the table leg ends...then add how many inches you need it to be raised. That is the length you would cut all 4 dowel pieces. Clear as mud?