Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Red Half Log Cabin Experiment >
  • Red Half Log Cabin Experiment

• Red Half Log Cabin Experiment

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM
    Power Poster

Actually, the best poly to show dimension is Hobbs Poly down but I suspect Quilters Dream Puff would be very similar. I find the Quilters Dream select to not give much definition at all and in my experience it does not quilt up much different, loft wise, than cotton, I have not tried their Deluxe or the Dream Puff which is their highest loft. If you REALLY want to give dimension, use two layers of batting. Have one be a poofy higher loft like Hobbs polydown or wool. The other should be fairly flat, like W&N, Quilters Dream either select or request or their cotton. I have also done it with bamboo and 80/20 and I have seen Green Fairy do it with two layers of 80/20. It gives wonderful dimension. I call it faux trapunto.

So what did you think of Karen (besides "wonderful) LOL? I took a class with her two years ago at MQX. I found her to be so very funny, charming, caring of her students, endearing and a great teacher. That was in a class of about 20. I bet having 1 on 1 with her was pretty amazing, (and pretty expensive!!)
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
    WOW! It's that just a practice I can't wait to see one that's a gift! Way to go!!!!
    Thank you so much. I longarm quilt for hire and also make tshirt and memory quilts for people. Even though I do this for hire, I am still feel so humble when they say how much they love my work. There is no better feeling than giving someone their quilt and tears start. Always gets me all warm and fuzzy. I just LOVE what I do.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Actually, the best poly to show dimension is Hobbs Poly down but I suspect Quilters Dream Puff would be very similar. I find the Quilters Dream select to not give much definition at all and in my experience it does not quilt up much different, loft wise, than cotton, I have not tried their Deluxe or the Dream Puff which is their highest loft. If you REALLY want to give dimension, use two layers of batting. Have one be a poofy higher loft like Hobbs polydown or wool. The other should be fairly flat, like W&N, Quilters Dream either select or request or their cotton. I have also done it with bamboo and 80/20 and I have seen Green Fairy do it with two layers of 80/20. It gives wonderful dimension. I call it faux trapunto.

So what did you think of Karen (besides "wonderful) LOL? I took a class with her two years ago at MQX. I found her to be so very funny, charming, caring of her students, endearing and a great teacher. That was in a class of about 20. I bet having 1 on 1 with her was pretty amazing, (and pretty expensive!!)
    She shares her art and secrets with heart. I always knew I quilt well, but she gave me the confidence I needed. She's just one of those people who aren't afraid to give, it was like spending the day with a friend. Also, she prefers the Quilter's Dream, I never liked poly before I tried hers, and so does another LA'er in my area who is a bit of a mentor for me. So it is easy for my to get since the one in my area also owns a quilt shop. Another LA'er in the area, but almost 70 miles one way, uses Hobbs, also has a shop, and I have bought from her, too.

As far as poof and dimension, I like a like a little but not a lot sometimes. Wool is my favorite batting, but I like the way the Quilter's Dream feels. I do like Hobb's also, but prefer Q.D. I have had my longarm for a couple years, but just starte for hire recently, so I keep the Select and Warm n Natural on hand always and when I need something different I buy double what I need so I hve some for the next time. Each quilt I finish I use most of the money to invest in rulers, batting, and thread. I am pretty much set with those. Stocking rolls of batting takes up a lot of room, and hopefully this spring we will finish the rest of our floors (provided my hubby's dog doesn't eat another circle saw) and things will be back in order so I have more room for batting.

Last edited by knlsmith; 02-12-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Absolutely beautiful!
    Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM

This is a gorgeous quilt!
    Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Wonderful quilt. Thanks for the information about the book. I love to make log cabin quilts, and must try my hand at the half log cabins.
    Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Beautiful. I am working on one from the same book. Your quilting looks great!
    Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM

That's an all around beautiful quilt - everything about it.
    Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM

I have a log cabin quilt waiting to be quilted; I like your idea of the large feathers. Very nice job!
    Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Outstanding quilt.Your work is beautiful. I don't blame you for keeping it for yourself, I could not part with it if it were mine.