• Pictures
  • Rescued?? >
  • Rescued??

• Rescued??

Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 AM

Beautiful!!!
    Old 06-03-2010, 03:51 AM
    Power Poster

I am with Marsye, I keep coming back to admire the quilt, but even more your quilting technique. It leaves me in complete awe. If you don't mind my asking how many hours did you work in order to accomplish what you did on this quilt?
    Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 AM

Absolutely fantastic! What some don't realize is that machine quilting will make that quilt last a lot longer than hand quilting. You did a magnificent job. I love the way that you continued the quilting pattern (of the green border) all the way across the top.
    Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    Wow, thanks for all of your kind comments! You truly understand. OK, maybe I was feeling guilty for machine quilting this quilt and needed reassurance.

To answer the comment about trapunto, I hadn't really thought about it. The polyester batt that the client provided does give that look. It really helped to take up space in the applique' pieces, since some of those blocks were so poofy next to their neighbor. Quilt wrangling, that's what it was! and the curves and stippling helped it to lie flat. The quilt actually "grew" four inches by the time I got to the bottom of it!

This pattern is a version of a pattern called "Whig's Defeat" that was popular in the late 1800's.

I wish I had thought to take some "before" pictures!

In my opinion, the love of creating something truly beautiful has not changed since my great-grandmother's time, but this is a new generation of quilting. And in today's world, we quilt with the tools we have at hand. Not many of us have the time, the room to set up a quilt frame, nor the neighbors, friends and family that can come over to devote scores of hours hand-quilting. So we quilt with a machine, or we quilt with our checkbooks, and we still get the joy! :D Thanks again for your input.
    Sheesh, I hope you're over feeling guilty! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is possibly the third Whig's Defeat I've seen in the past 3 weeks, and I really like them. I predict a revival of the pattern :D

I think I'm going to have to attempt one at some point in the near future, and guess where I'm going to send it to be heirloom quilted? (don't hold your breath - it could take me a couple of years to get it done).
    Old 06-03-2010, 04:37 AM
    Power Poster

All I can do is echo the sentiments of everyone else. I hand quilt and have a longarm on order so I can only hope to be able to machine quilt as well as you some day! You have done this top justice! What would have been a shame is an all over meander on this but thankfully this top fell into your hands and you did it way beyond justice. As some one else posted, I don't think hand quilting this treasure could have done it as much for it as you have with your exquisite quilting.

On another note, is there something in the water out in Utah that produces incredibly amazing longarm quilters? Seems a lot of unbelievably talented longarmers come from there. You and Green Fairy come to mind immediately.
    Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 AM

That is beautiful.Awesome job on all of it.
    Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 AM

You did such a beautiful job, and since I only machine quilt, I think anyone would object to the machine quilting!

How long have you been machine quilting? A long time?
    Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 AM
    Banned

I have been machine quilting for six years now, and it took 23 hours to finish this quilt - a few hours a day for nine days. (I have another part time job right now, so I can quilt a few hours each morning before going to my other job.) Each row took about three hours.
    Old 06-03-2010, 05:23 AM

Beautiful quilt. I beleive an old quilt deserves to be hand quilted, but sometimes if it just isn't going to happen or it would not be saved through hand quilting then machine salvation is the solution. Seems you made the right choice here. IMHO saving the quilt is honor number one!! (reguardless of how it has to happen)
    Old 06-03-2010, 05:43 AM

The quilt is beautiful and your quilting is spectacular. Great job.