Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014 >
  • Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014

• Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014

Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 AM

I thought by using the one dark purple to accent the soft center that it would be enough to show which direction of color I wanted the quilt to go to. Would rather it go to the purple shades if you can do that now and make it look alright. I visualized it as very soft light colors, very feminine and said that in my note I believe. Whatever you think will be fine. It's very hard to tell on the computer I guess because the pink looks darker and very bright, probably because it's a solid instead of a marbled or tone on tone fabric. I'm sure I will love it when I get to see it in person. You're fabric choices look like they will blend nicely, think a small border would be great, love the purple.
    Thanks for the link for CO, been talking to my son alot. And he was just debating on buying a house in Milligan and moving from Denver city area. He had his choices down to 2 different houses.....so much for that. Think he has decided to stay put and keep renting Mom's house.

Last edited by jaba; 09-15-2013 at 05:23 AM.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 AM

Oh Jan, I am so sorry you don't like it. I did read your note, and thought I matched your purple and used the soft greens and pink (it does look much brighter in the picture, I think) that were in your print. Sandy, the pink is appliqued onto the border squares, so send it back to me and I will redo the whole thing, ok? That will give you more time on your end, and I will pay for the postage. If you don't like it in the picture, chances are you won't like it in person.
    Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 AM

No don't do that! I just think it is my monitor, on mine it looks very bright, kind of like a hot pink bright. The purple looks like it is the very same color as the one I used. I'm sure I will love it just the way it is. The soft shades are what I asked for and you both say the pic is different than what it is showing. You see it in person, that sometimes makes so much difference, I'm sure it is perfect!!! I didn't say I didn't like it, I like the design of your border, I just was surprised when I saw the "hot pink" color I am seeing here. Didn't mean to make you feel that way at all Miriam, I'm so sorry I didn't say that a little better. Please accept my apologies.
    Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 AM

Hello world missed a lot here. SISTER WIVES! I have a bunch of sister wives. I will cook! (and sew) promise. Steve is marvelous as somethings just not a lot of fix it things. He is off getting laundry done and grocery shopping for me which is marvelous. I love my quilt and how its coming along. I kind of think that lighter purple soft batik is better with your quilt Jan. Twinrivers that does look pretty pink on my monitor but if you think it matches then I am sure it does. You have good taste when it comes to fabric choices (she made me an amazing quilt this year). I guess we all stress too much. Its because drum roll.. we are quilters.. making something for a quilter. Anyone else no worries but for each other we worry about critics, and police (they are on here just not allowed in this swap) and well.. stuff like that. I say trust yourself. It is the challenge of working on another quilt in different choices than maybe you would make. It is the fun of learning new things and the pride when your done. And the best part is the friendships we take out of this with people all over the country (and world). We can't do much better than that honest.
    Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 PM

Ok...I am jumping in to settle things here. Miriam, your round is superb and I love the design. I know Jan will love it too when she sees it. Like I said, my picture makes the solids look much more bright pink than they are for real. Perhaps someone else can take a pic next and it will come out a bit differently on their computer screens. Besides when we started this thing we knew that each round would be made with love so that is all that matters. The design is really unique and I think every quilt needs some zing in it. Now, my next topic is not a complaint!!! I just want to say that I am finding that putting a round on sometimes is a challenge. I am discovering that my cute little x's & o's don't perfectly fit like I thought they would so I am going to have to add a little something in the corners. Just another learning experience for me and I can see that designing a quilt might be a difficult task to get every round to match. But it will still look nice ( I think) and I am not fretting about it. Just stating that each quilt I make teaches me a bit more. Jan, hope your finger is better. How is it? Linda, I am so glad you are feeling better. I had a feeling somethng was going on with you. Teresa, thanks for doing the progress pics. I think we 5 make a good group and I am glad to have you all as friends. Our 5 quilts are going to be wonderful!!!! And...I have not forgotten about the chocolate (fudge). Just have a busy week ahead but like I said, be careful what you wish for...and I do have ALL your addresses!!! LOL...(Evil grin!)
    Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 AM

Well now that we are all cozy again I wanted to say GOOD MORNING! I woke up at P4:45 and decided make a quiche so now its in the oven smelling pretty good if I say so myself. I know who wakes up before coffee or tea and says I think I will bake! dork. breakfast anytime you like sliced fresh tomatoes from Jan's garden to go with it and a cup of your favorite breakfast drink.. come on you know you will love it.. pancetta, gouda, swiss, parm, garlic, diced onions... yum yum. lol I think I must have been hungry perhaps ? sick of cooking eggs over easy more like it. I have to eat 2 eggs a day to help my protein. Well I sure used more than 2 eggs but think perhaps that's about all I can eat anyways.

I am so thrilled with another round robin I am in .. going to finish it today. just have to attach two sides and make four cornerstones. Yes most don't really want to fit exactly as you hoped. So you add a filler and you know it usually looks pretty good so don't worry Sandy it. I have learned to make different designs which to me is a cool thing. I always used well.. straight plan sashing and borders. I thought it was too much work or not sure what I thought but now I think it could truly add another dimension to quilts and will probably use it more often. So learning is really grand and if you go back to the postings I told you about in Dragonflys last year's round robins you can see that sometimes a round looks.. wrong? perhaps then suddenly three rounds later it all looks great together so you can't judge by just one round I think. I think its the accumulation of all rounds that truly is fascinating so loosen up you all and just have FUN. (remember what that was? running in sprinklers and sliding on a slip in slide? that kind of fun). Love you!
    Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 AM

Progress!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]436305[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails photos-roadrunners.jpg  
    Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM

I wanted to show you the round I just finished for dragonflys round robin. Kelly (themamahauser) did the center, Jaba followed with the next round, Dragonfly did the round with the rose and flying geese and then there was me! the little 4.5 inch billion squares. I sure am sick of those little blocks! lol.. now onto the next red and white one that is sitting on my bench! [ATTACH=CONFIG]436386[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 1234616_696676963679806_345165077_n.jpg  
    Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM

OhoooH Linda, I love all your little squares, especially how you made the red the predominant color compared to the white in previous rounds. Lucky MamaHauser to get this one! I am going to use some of the fabric enclosed in Miriam's packet from previous rounds to use in the corners and that will tie it all together. I only need little bits so hopefully, I should have this one done by this weekend and will post pics. With any luck at all, it will go out in the mail by 27th at very latest. I am having a yard sale this Sat. so allowing 3 days to get ready for it...hence...no quilting! Then it will be on to working on Jaba's. Will keep you all posted.
    Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 AM

Thanks Sandy. I hope your garage sale goes great! I hate having them but like the extra cash. I am only for one day sales however. Most of the good stuff is picked up early by other sellers or serial garage sale addicts and then its just a drag on by noon by 2, your done and well heck with three days. Your brave or you have tons of stuff to sell I am going to work on yours this week Sandy should not take near as long its so much smaller than the last one I did. They tend to grow each round for some reason