Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014 >
  • Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014

• Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 PM

I'm not disappointed at all Sandy. The way I understood the workings of this RR is that we'd have plenty of time for each round. No ones rushing you I think it's been cool with the way things have been chugging along ahead of schedule, and I think even if you take your time, we're gonna be done well ahead of time.

I just received yours today. My mind is working overtime trying to figure out what I'll do.
    Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 AM

Sandy, here is a thought that may help with the corners. Try planning them first, then working your ribbon pattern from them towards the center line of each side. If the ribbons don't meat and match at the center correctly, adapt the pattern at that point. You could leave a solid space, create a complimentary motif, or anything you want. It will look balanced and the corners will be matched. When you get Elizabrat's you will see what I ended up doing. Should be in the mail tomorrow to you!
    Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 AM

Sandy Jan has done a braid border before. She did it all the way to the end on two sides and the shorter sides just ran up to the border. She did not try to make it all wrap around. Wonder if she has a pic she can post of that on it was in another round robin swap she is in. It came out really pretty and it looks like it was supposed to be that way. I really liked it. so maybe yours can do the same thing just do the two short ends.. then the longer sides go straight down not matching the other sides.. just to the edge. it is a simple but pretty way to do things. and I hear you on the smaller rounds.. those I think are perfect for simpler projects. Also doing something all the way around isn't always necessary.. like what I did for twinrivers.. you can do partial strips of what you chose and then solid. or even like twinrivers did for tlambing, remember? it was more a solid strip which she appliqued something to. NOTE: if you applique something on make sure the person with the quilt top will be able to quilt that top around it. it sometimes is good to put those extras in a baggie and let the person know that things like buttons and etc should be attached after it is quilted. I know this as I did a doll quilt this weekend and beaded some areas on the top. Then I went to quilt it and the darn beads were in the way all the time, broke several of them.. argh! so just a thought. I am a zero quilt expert until well I do things like that. then the light comes on and well.. I was rebeading last night and not happy about it. argh!
    Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Here is what I am trying to do. Keep in mind these are not sewn ogether..only pinned... and I still have to figure out how to make the corners match...or not??? Perhaps I should just go with a plain border and I had considered a braid too so Jaba, what is your opinion? I am not sewing anything on until everyone agrees it looks good.
    Attached Thumbnails 10-16-large-.jpg  
    Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM

I think it looks just fine, if you don't want to try and match those corners then how about just a 1/2 sq. triangle of the focus fabric and a purple or just a square of fabric on each corner. I'll see if I can find the photo's that I did because I didn't match the corners, one was on mine that I practiced adding different borders on (the pink one) and another round on someone else in a different round robin. I'm in 3 RR so each group is different people and different quilts. [ATTACH=CONFIG]441646[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]441647[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dscf1613.jpg   dscf1604.jpg  
    Old 10-17-2013, 04:16 AM

nice showing of all those rounds Jaba! Sandy wow lots of work in that stuff. sure you want to do that ALL around the quilt? wow you would be pieced out! done that before its not fun at all. is that a ribbon round? it looks different than the braid Jaba did? more like the green and yellow round on Jabas last picture.. you guys and your books. I need a book!!! variety is grand but books sure make it a whole lot easier when you know what to do. I do a lot of looking through my block book and try to find blocks that can be made smaller. tough work at that. but if everyone did 6.5 inch rounds that would be one BIG quilt (big can be good)..I have trouble with bigger quilt tops so its nice there is a stopping point here
    Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM

Good morning all, After sleeping on it, I have decided to start afresh. Jaba, I like the pics you posted and since this will be your quilt, which of the designs do you like best of the borders that 2nd picture shows? I am leaning toward using the fabric you sent and having it be where the largest triangle (light lime green in your picture)and then perhaps a pale lavender to match color in your fabric and the smallest triangle be a cream color (also in your fabric). I will experiment with a couple triangles and then post a pic to get everyone's opinion. The ribbon effect, neat as it was, just was giving me fits so I will save that idea for some other time. I think the triangles would work well to keep with the theme of the triangles etc. in center of quilt. Hope everyone has a great day. Tlambing, glad you are feeling better. TRF, how are things back east?
    Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Don't stress, think any of them would be great and whatever is easier for you.
    Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 PM

Hi everyone...just a note...I think I have finally succeeded in getting Jaba's round figured out. Pictures in next few days. It is soft and gentle looking..at least in my opinion. :-)
    Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Fantastic, I would love this quilt to be soft and gentle. Looking forward to the pics, I can hardly wait. Hubby just got our elk! Brat's hubby is helping to get it loaded and home, bless special friends!!!