Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • a round robin with a group of friends >
  • a round robin with a group of friends

• a round robin with a group of friends

Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 AM

round robins are such fun!
    Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Love it. Colors and pattern are beautiful!
    Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 PM
    Power Poster

I can see why you are enjoying working on this quilt. It's beautiful.
    Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    How are you doing your round robin? Can you explain to rules and mechanics of how it works please.
    this round robin we decided to each make our center any size 16" - 24" either rectangular or square. there are 6 of us- the names just put 1 thru 6. so, say i'm # 1 I always send to # 2 and # 6 always sends to me; we decided to let the borders be our choice with this one- so what ever the next person wants to do is ok- the borders need to be at least 5" wide. we send a 'round robin journal' along with our block and each person writes in the journal when they add their border and include the new size as it continues on it's journey. we each have 6 weeks to make our border & pass them on ... not many rules since we are a group who have been doing these together for a number of years now. some of them in the past we have done what we call 'skill builder' round robins- and each border is a specific technique (like first round- triangles, second plain, third applique, forth squares, fifth solid, sixth paper pieced,) that's an example- we've added curved or slivers, or (what ever we as a group decide we would like to try/learn new- ... some of us (including me) have been doing multiple round robins a year for over 10 years now- so we always try to have 5 or 6 people in a group, try to learn some new technique, we've done samplers, row robins, grid robins (where you start with a large piece of muslin (the size we decided the quilts would be ) draw a 4" grid on it- create a beginning block- what ever size we decided on & basting it somewhere on our grid- then we pass it one- next person can fill what ever space they want to next to add to it- can be a strip along a side, a block, a border, what ever- then pass it on...these are really fun! anyhow- sorry I was so, ...windy...about this- there are lots of ways to put together a round robin....as long as everyone is dependable- and knows they are expected to do their part in a specific amount of time and pass it on.