• Pictures
  • Sewing Desk >
  • Sewing Desk

• Sewing Desk

Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Very nice!
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by mtngrl
    I am so excited about my sewing desk I had to share with someone who will understand...I have a wonderful desk I bought second hand, it was a hotel piece in its other life..I painted it and enjoyed it as it was for sewing and storage. Now that I am getting serious about putting my tops onto their backings so they are actually useful, I needed a flat surface. My DH cut a hole in the top, very nicely done too with edging around it, supported the little drawer that I am going to miss a bit, and I have finally got a flat surface to sew on. He also added about a foot to the back of the desk to give a bit more space and I'll just pull it over to the cutting table to add more surface for large quilts. I got a roll of heavy plastic to make everything move nicely, but I will have to make a bit of a ramp with a blanket or something as my cutting table is a bit higher. The cutting table was put together last year from two bookcases and a sheet of smooth board. It is a great height for cutting, hopefully this will work as an extension table, I don't have enough space to add anything else to this room.
    Just a suggestion, can your hubby make extensions for the desk legs to bring it up to the same level as the cutting table?
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM

I am so excited about my sewing desk I had to share with someone who will understand...I have a wonderful desk I bought second hand, it was a hotel piece in its other life..I painted it and enjoyed it as it was for sewing and storage. Now that I am getting serious about putting my tops onto their backings so they are actually useful, I needed a flat surface. My DH cut a hole in the top, very nicely done too with edging around it, supported the little drawer that I am going to miss a bit, and I have finally got a flat surface to sew on. He also added about a foot to the back of the desk to give a bit more space and I'll just pull it over to the cutting table to add more surface for large quilts. I got a roll of heavy plastic to make everything move nicely, but I will have to make a bit of a ramp with a blanket or something as my cutting table is a bit higher. The cutting table was put together last year from two bookcases and a sheet of smooth board. It is a great height for cutting, hopefully this will work as an extension table, I don't have enough space to add anything else to this room.
    Just a suggestion, can your hubby make extensions for the desk legs to bring it up to the same level as the cutting table?
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 PM

It looks beautiful. Your sweetie did a great job.
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    That would make the desk back to the height it was before the insert which was a bit high for me. I opened the drawer on the desk, stuffed a blanket in to make a ramp and put heavy plastic on top of everything, taped it down over the machine, let it hang down the front a bit and over the corner of the cutting table, with a hole cut and taped for the feed dog area...works like a charm. Now if I was a super quilter who was entering into competition it might not be perfect enough, but for my abilities I'm very pleased with how it works.
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM

That is beautiful. Should try to do something like that for myself. Yours looks like a very nice size also. Good for those quilts.

Sibyl
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Neat idea of recycling the desk
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Sweeeeet!!
    Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM

That desk is very classy and I am jealous :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM

very nice!!