Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Sewing studio >
  • Sewing studio

• Sewing studio

Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    Nice room, I use to sew mainly for my two girls and made pjs for my son also - years ago and made doll clothes and GI Joe and Ken clothes several years from Mrs. Claus. Now I only make quilts - kids are in their 40s.
    I still make most of my clothes. I am anxious to start sewing for my DGD. I've made her a few things, but 7 month old babies are hard to fit as they grow so fast. When she starts walking I'll start making her some dresses.
    Old 01-04-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by craftydeb
    golly! Why did I look??!! I work out of a glorified broom closet! If I am ever brave enough I'll post pics of my set up. You guys would just shudder! It is amazing that I do get anything done at all. I dream of the day of getting a nice big craft room! I'm thinking that maybe after the kids are off to school and not coming back I might be able to knock out a wall - but I doubt that my husband would go for that - he'd argue that they might want to come back to visit and we'd need the bedroom.... their rooms will become little shrines to their childhood I'm sure!!
    40 years ago my SS was a machine between the washer and back door. Next we enclosed the carport, (different house and years later). This is my 5th sewing studio. I have a wonderful DH. He enclosed the garage for me about 5 years ago.
    Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by craftydeb
    golly! Why did I look??!! I work out of a glorified broom closet! If I am ever brave enough I'll post pics of my set up. You guys would just shudder! It is amazing that I do get anything done at all. I dream of the day of getting a nice big craft room! I'm thinking that maybe after the kids are off to school and not coming back I might be able to knock out a wall - but I doubt that my husband would go for that - he'd argue that they might want to come back to visit and we'd need the bedroom.... their rooms will become little shrines to their childhood I'm sure!!

:lol:

The trick is that as they move out, you fill in their space. First I used the closet space, then I moved in my sewing things, etc., etc, etc.. If they "need" to come back (temporarily) there's a nice day bed ready for them.
    Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 AM

sneaky sneaky GailG! Sadly I'd really have to knock down a wall. None of our rooms are big enough to house a big long quilting frame. I have it set up at 10' right now and it fills the room - with very little on either side to spare. Yup. No pantographs for me!! I can't really get behind the frame! I'd have to crawl under it to do anything lol. It's all good in the end though. I'm hoping that maybe in the future I can talk my husband in to a room upstairs for me. That would be sweet - or we could knock out a wall, move the computer room in to the dining room after the kids stop using the dining room as a play room... oh there are ways to do it I'm sure. I do have my eye on the attic space. It wasn't framed to be a working area but I'm thinking if we could knock out the roof... add on an addition....

Yeah. I know. keep dreaming. But if I do start to quilt for profit he agrees that my set up would not work at all. We'll see. Right now I don't see it as a profit - just as a hobby with potential :D
    Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM

I love your sewing studio. How are those patterns staying on the wall?? That is a genious idea.
    Linda
    Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 AM

Wow!!! OK I'm jealous.
    Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 AM

Way too cool!! It is wonderful to have a designated space even a smallish cramped messy space like MINE!!! i used to work on a 10 feet long floor frame to quilt and just could not stand te cramp so i changed to using quilting hoops and put my 6 foot cutting table up which also holds 2 of my machines. I LOVE your style and it beckons to me (OOOOOO0) giggle I know you will have tons of fun in your beautimous studio!! enjoy
    Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Memalinda
    I love your sewing studio. How are those patterns staying on the wall?? That is a genious idea.
    Linda
    They are in baggies and stapled to the wall. That way the pattern is not damaged.
    Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 AM

Great sewing space.
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 AM

Wow, look at all of those scissors AND machines. LOVE the patterns border on the wall.