Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Sneak peek ( Elle the new pic is on page 14) >
  • Sneak peek ( Elle the new pic is on page 14)

• Sneak peek ( Elle the new pic is on page 14)

Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
    Here is the Dear Jane website

http://www.dearjane.com

I have that book too!! I am as addicted to books as fabric!
    Marcia thanks for that site, I read that with interest. She died on March 2nd, which funnily enough is my birthday. I hasten to add not the year. :lol:

The quilt that was made has 169 blocks and all hand made, just a work of love.
    :?
    Old 07-26-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    Why don't you gals start a Dear Jane with no pressure intended? You could gather your fabric scraps, a pattern for a few blocks, and put them in a basket by your tv? That way you could begin the DJ project and have hand work ready to go anytime you didn't feel like sewing at the machine. All of your CW and URR scraps would work in the DJ blocks and you would use up all your tiny scraps. Sound like a plan?
    Well it does sound like a plan. Sometimes I feel that the noise of the sewing machine intrudes on the TV which DH is watching, so I have to get some fabrics, now that is just sooooooo hard to do.

Melissa where is the best place to buy and what do I look out for.???????
    Marcia your help is enlisted and Loretta you to.
    You are talking to an amatuer here as far as this subject goes. I take it they are paper pieced yea or nay ??
    Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Some blocks are paper pieced, others are applique, still others are template pieced. There is also a CD you can buy that goes along with the book where you can print out the paper piece patterns, resize the blocks if you want to make a quilt with fewer and larger blocks, etc. There is also a template ruler you can buy to use for the border scallops. I have it too, but it is on loan to a friend who is finishing up her Dear Jane quilt (probably the only time it will ever be used :D )

Fabric is easy to find. Lots of quilt shops sell them online. Melissa has been ordering some recently so she would be your best source for that. My collection of CW fabrics started about 8 years ago-is big enough and I have not added to it in several years. There are some gorgeous ones out there though, and since I am working on URR now I just may have to buy a few!!

Loretta, your idea to have a basket and sit by the TV to sew is a good one. My major problem with Dear Jane is that there is so much applique and I am just SOOO bad at applique. I have 2 friends that just finished making this quilt and they are awesome appliquers and even they said some of the blocks were tough for them! So--if I am going to make a DJ quilt-you are too!!! What do you think about them apples?
    Old 07-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks Marcia, Thanks for all that info. Not really into template piecing, but will have to learn. Love applique, but not needle turn applique. Paper piecing is also fine. So suppose you just pick the blocks you can do.

Will look back the stores that Melissa uses I know if I look back on posts I will find them That is tomorrows job. Off now to listen to some singing in the village and having a meal there as well, going to tart myself up, now that could take a while LOL

Will do a bit of online shopping tomorrow. Thanks again

Elle x
    Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Thanks Marcia, Thanks for all that info. Not really into template piecing, but will have to learn. Love applique, but not needle turn applique. Paper piecing is also fine. So suppose you just pick the blocks you can do.

Will look back the stores that Melissa uses I know if I look back on posts I will find them That is tomorrows job. Off now to listen to some singing in the village and having a meal there as well, going to tart myself up, now that could take a while LOL

Will do a bit of online shopping tomorrow. Thanks again

Elle x

Sorry I took so long I couldnt find the sites. Here are a few

http://www.bonniebluequilts.com/default.aspx
    http://www.sugarhousequiltshop.com/index.html
    http://www.this-n-thatfabrics.com/
    http://www.colonialcrafts.com/

Old 07-26-2008, 09:34 AM

Ahem, may I horn in on this conversation, please?

Did you know.... You can purchase CD's from Rosemary Youngs that contain patterns for her books? I am not 100% sure if the Amish one (I have the book) has a CD or not but do know the other 2 have books have the CD's. They are not stand alone programs though (meaning you have to have EQ5 or 6 to run them, which I do) She is super nice to do business with, as well! (Yes, I am a CD "how to" junkie)

Dear Jane has a CD also. (I highly recommend buying it, you will be very glad you did!) I have The Jane Stickle Quilt in my hoop frame, as I believe I have mentioned & shown on here before. I wish I had of waited to make it with the lovely C/W fabric available now. It was not readily accessible when I made mine. (boo hoo) It is in my Webshots album in 'quilts that need quilting' I think?

Marcie, those folks at Bellwether Dry Goods are very nice to do business with! I ordered a full bolt due to having several things to make that seems to need muslin (1930 Repos, etc) Besides, THEY pay the shipping when you purchase the full bolt. :) Thanks again for that nod.

Riley

Edited: Opps, got interrupted while putting together typos here & see you Ladies have already discussed what I wrote. Sorry abt that!!!
    Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Oh Riley, You just jump in any ole time you want!!!! :D
    I dont have the EQ, and I was getting all excited about the CD's until I read that part!!! :(
    I will have to look back and see if I can find your Dear Jane quilt, I dont remember seeing yours!
    Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Riley
    I just found it on your webshots. WOW!!!! Awesome!!! Post a picture when you get it quilted please!!!! I also loved your Feathered Star!!!! I want to make one so bad but still looking for just the right pattern, the ones I have are huge. What pattern did you use?
    Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Riley-I looked at your webshots too-I LOVE your Celebration of American Life quilt. You are awesome with the applique, girl!!
    Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Melissa-the Dear Jane CD is stand alone and does not require EQ-here is more info about it

http://www.quiltbus.com/dearjane.htm