Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • So close w/ my La Pass >
  • So close w/ my La Pass

• So close w/ my La Pass

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Kassaundra that is absolutely gorgeous! I, too, really like the use of black & white throughout - it makes for a very striking overall appearance.

I've been researching the Millefiore/La Pass pattern and would love to know your opinion on the size, seam allowance and EPP stitch you prefer.

The DIYAddict suggests for a 1st timer at EPP to consider the oversized (1.5x original) with the 3/8" seam allowance acrylic templates. Her preferred method is glue baste on card stock paper pieces then sewn together with a flat back stitch using a No. 11 straw or millners needle and bottom line thread. I wondered if you'd share your preferred method and any suggestions for someone who's preparing to tackle her 1st EPP project. I know it's a tall order but my 1st large quilt was the Bonnie Hunter ORL which had 1,000's of pieces as well. I enjoy a challenge

I'm not sure I want to expand to 1.5x the overall size - I just can't imagine how the larger rosettes would look? I feel I'd lose the intricate detail if I were to size up but I also think I would enjoy the larger sized finished quilt.

Thank you in advance for any advise and congratulations on your beautifully done La Pass!

Christine
    Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 PM

Lovely quilt! Like others are saying I really like the black that’s being used throughout. I don’t think I have seen another La Pass with your color scheme and have to say I really like it. Everyone tends to pick brighter colors and you have definitely demonstrated how well your palette works.

I am totally in love with the “flower” in the lower left corner of your picture. The green, gray, and yellow, makes me want to make my own in some form.
    Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily
    The DIYAddict suggests for a 1st timer at EPP to consider the oversized (1.5x original) with the 3/8" seam allowance acrylic templates. Her preferred method is glue baste on card stock paper pieces then sewn together with a flat back stitch using a No. 11 straw or millners needle and bottom line thread.
    La Passacaglia is quite big as it is, so I don't think I would want to do it with 1.5" pieces. I personally don't think it really is that much harder to handle 1" pieces with EPP. That said, although I've previously done a whole quilt with EPP (Grandma's Flower Garden), for La Passacaglia I decided to NOT use paper but just normal (hand-) piecing. I made myself plastic templates from a notebook cover, including 1/4" seam allowance and would use them to draw the pieces onto the fabric. No cutting out of the paper pieces, no basting needed... Saves a lot of work IMO!
    Old 08-11-2018, 02:23 AM

Wow Kassaundra, that is a labor of love...and beautiful. You have way more patience that I do and I compliment you for the beautiful choice of fabrics.
    Old 08-11-2018, 03:57 AM

This was my first ever EPP too. (when I started it, I do lots of it now this quilt and for individual blocks I've made for boom swaps and such I fit it in where it makes a difference). I have seen the sized up quilts and they are lovely but in my opinion lose some of the intricate nature of the quilt. I think if I wanted it bigger I would add more rosettes or add more borders.

I am a glue baster all the way. I use regular typing paper and print my shapes on the whole sheet and cut out, reuse until they get torn or worn, you can get several times out of them. I use elmer's stick school glue, I put one small dot of glue in the center of the paper and glue to the back of the fabric (I fussy cut so place the paper very carefully where I want it) then I cut around the paper (leaving an approx seam allowance) w/ scissors. When I fold the seams over the paper to make the finished shape I press as I go and use a small dot of glue on the corner seam overlap of the fabric not the paper, this makes it easier to get the fabric out later.

I prefer the whip stitch, I can do it fast and w/o visible stitches, unless you get really really close. I tried the others (ladder and flat back) didn't like any of them. I'd say try the others and see what works best for you.

I did mine on a shoe string budget, didn't buy papers or templates or anything, some typing paper a little cheap school glue needle and thread. Paper windows and a folded mirror (which I made from dollar store mirrors and duct tape) are invaluable if you are going to fussy cut.

I didn't use any special needle or thread, but can imagine how spending some extra on those could be helpful, especially w/ the ladder or flat back stitches. I used black, white, and medium grey threads and made sure one of fabrics I was joining was one of the colors (black / or white) and when not I used the grey, when one fabric matches the thread color it helps to hide the errant "big" stitch or two.

I'd say jump in you won't regret it, and if you are on FB join the group, lots of pictures and ideas there.
    Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily
    Kassaundra that is absolutely gorgeous! I, too, really like the use of black & white throughout - it makes for a very striking overall appearance.

I've been researching the Millefiore/La Pass pattern and would love to know your opinion on the size, seam allowance and EPP stitch you prefer.

The DIYAddict suggests for a 1st timer at EPP to consider the oversized (1.5x original) with the 3/8" seam allowance acrylic templates. Her preferred method is glue baste on card stock paper pieces then sewn together with a flat back stitch using a No. 11 straw or millners needle and bottom line thread. I wondered if you'd share your preferred method and any suggestions for someone who's preparing to tackle her 1st EPP project. I know it's a tall order but my 1st large quilt was the Bonnie Hunter ORL which had 1,000's of pieces as well. I enjoy a challenge

I'm not sure I want to expand to 1.5x the overall size - I just can't imagine how the larger rosettes would look? I feel I'd lose the intricate detail if I were to size up but I also think I would enjoy the larger sized finished quilt.

Thank you in advance for any advise and congratulations on your beautifully done La Pass!

Christine
    Old 08-11-2018, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the wonderful tips - Kass & Monale - both of your La Pass projects have certainly inspired me.

Kass - I'm always in awe of your creativity. Loved your ORL and I confess to stalking the BOOMs always admiring your amazing blocks. I had requested to join the FB group yesterday and was accepted this morning - first post on my thread was your photo! Ironic I'm sure the FB group will lead me down the path (or the rabbit hole?) towards the size, color scheme, methods that I find work for me. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing your progress - your work is truly beautiful!

Thanks again

Christine

FYI - Just watched a video on the folded mirror for fussy cutting - I can see how that would be invaluable! Thanks for the great info.

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 08-11-2018 at 06:42 AM.
    Old 08-11-2018, 07:07 AM

Wow! Such a gorgeous quilt. Looks like tons of work and you have done a beautiful job on it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-11-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Gorgeous! That's a lot of work! I ordered the papers and a book so I'm excited to get going on mine.
    Old 08-11-2018, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

Omg, Kassaundra- that is gorgeous!!!!!!!
    Old 08-11-2018, 01:04 PM
    Power Poster

Beautiful quilt - those are tiny pieces! and so many of them required!