Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Some charity quilt recipients >
  • Some charity quilt recipients

• Some charity quilt recipients

Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 AM

I am sitting here with tears running down my face. This is a great time of the year to remember to be selfless and that it is not all about getting but about giving!

Thanks for all you do. You made quite a few families very very happy....you are blessed!
    Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 AM

[quote=Toto's Mom]
    Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    As a child, I met many refugees who had come to this country from Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Romania at the end of WW2, who also were very limited in their scope of learning.
    A baker baked, a seamstress sewed, but no diversity of knowledge.
    The person who told me this was actually a Russian lady. It was her knowledge of her own culture as compared to Americans. She had lived in America for a couple of years and was very awakened to the idea that American women aren't really afraid to "do it all"--bake, sew, clean, cook, take care of kids, etc. I'm not even really talking professions as you and I think of them.
    Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    Great idea! Why weren't some of the ladies smiling? Do you also make baby quilts? How were the ladies picked to receive the quilts?
    Some of the ladies aren't smiling because it didn't used to be the thing to do over here to smile during a picture. Have you seen old timey movies where everyone was happy til the guy took the picture--then everyone kind of got a dour expression? That is how some are still here.

Each one of the ladies who comes to the Christmas parties and has a baby registered with us (I will explain in a minute) will get a baby quilt along with a bag of diapers, wipes, and a stuffed animal and this year, because Johnson and Johnson gave us some cosmetics, several baby related cosmetics. The ladies absolutely LOVE the American baby fabrics.

I have a lady who makes us baby quilts. Actually she sends me them in boxes about 7-8 at a time. She is often given fabric from people around her. She and her mother (who is in her 80's) make them. They live in AZ and are from a supporting church. Last year we gave each lady who came a tote bag and in the bag was a lap quilt and various other things. This year, I didn't give out the lap quilts because they need to collect another year.

Someone asked how we get the kids...I go to area elementary schools and talk to the school counselors. I ask them to invite (I give them preprinted invitations) 40 children to our church building on a certain date (this year was last Sat.) and at a certain time. I ask them to invite whole family groups. IOW, if there is a 7 year old, a 4 year old and a baby--they all get invited, not just the 7 yo.

Last Sat. we had 5 such sessions. They were at 10, 11:30, 2, 3:30 and 5 pm. Each session we invite 40 kids. Then, our church kids (and a few others) do a program of about 15 min. long of Christmas carols and Bible verses, reminding them of what Christmas is really about and we end with a song in English. We tell them what it means and then our group sings them "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" (as we have nothing like that in Polish).

While we often have what we would call "dysfunctional families", I also have emphasized to the school counselors that we are looking to help people who are just having a hard time. IOW, people who are working and just can't make quite enough to buy their kids a reasonably nice present, etc. I went to 4 schools and had enough people call me up individually to fill up the 5th time slot. I get lists from these counselors, of people who were invited and then prepare the gifts, according to age. I make a lot of guesses about what kids like. I buy a lot of Hot Wheels, Legos, dolls and Littlest Pet shop.

The money comes from my friends in America and Canada, my sister's customers (she runs www.thecouponclippers.com) and people who are on our mailing list (I send out regular emails). The presents are $15 and the candy bags are $5 and people sponsor gifts. This year we aimed for 300 presents (and candy bags) and so far we've given out 377. On Christmas eve we head to the Girls' Juvenile Detention center for the girls who aren't allowed to go home for Christmas. We will do our program and give them gifts and spend some time with them.

Does that answer your questions?

However, the quilts are given to the ladies who come to the programs on that one Sat. Each person is given a questionnaire to fill out. They do not have to fill it out, but if they do, their questionnaire is put in a box for the drawing for a quilt. After the drawing, we give each mom/dad who filled out a questionnaire a gift. I figure if the child is "poor" then certainly the mom could use some pretties in her life. So, we compile "mama bags" for them.

It is a lot of work and it is also the reason I've been unable to finish up the bindings on the quilts we've finished tying. When my kids have their friends over to play, I railroad them into helping me tie if I have quilts ready to tie.

I also just give quilts to people who ask for them. If I know they are having a difficult time financially, then I do give them away. The original purpose was to help those who have had a fire as it seems to happen a lot here. However, after a fire, a lot of people help out. It is the day in and day-out stuff that people don't help out with. So, I'm looking to help single moms, people married to alcoholics, or as I mentioned, just people who are having a hard time this year--due to job loss, poor pay, or irregular work.

Here are two other visiting young people plus my son. These are all American kids and I don't give them a choice about helping me. :) I put on an old time radio story and we listen to something while we tie.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]146937[/ATTACH]

Here are my daughter (right) and her friend, Julia (a Polish girl). They deserve medals for lightning fingers. They both tie very, very quickly!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]146938[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-146932.jpe   attachment-146933.jpe  
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM

You are a very special person!! Look at all of the children that will learn how to be special too!!! Bless you!
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM

This is such a wonderful Christmas story...you are sweet and generous. I know these people will benefit from your unselfish generosity, and that they will remember you fondly.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Christmas blessings to you and your family
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
    I hope you realize how special you are...
    I agree wholeheartedly!!
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM

ISN'T IT SOMETHING JUSTFLYING IN , THAT JESUS WITH HIS AWSOME WISDOM COULD HAVE CHOSEN ANY OF US TO DO HIS WILL THERE IN POLAND, BUT HE CHOSE YOU. BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND I WILL LIFT YOU UP IN PRAYER. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!!!!!
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 AM

God Bless You!! You are sooo very special!
    Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for sharing.
    Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 PM

You are such a blessing to all those who receive one of your quilts! Thank you for having such a giving heart. :wink: