Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Starred and Feathered top is done! >
  • Starred and Feathered top is done!

• Starred and Feathered top is done!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:26 PM

It is very nice. Congrats!!!!
    Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 PM

You know what? I've had to lower my expectations too. My oldest daughter doesnt seem to appreciate my quilts, and so i am scared to even make a quilt for her. But the unexpected will happen when you least expect it. My little grandaughter came for the weekend last weekend, and she met our other daughters new boyfriend. He was saying that his grandma was a quilter, and guess who spoke up? You got it, my little grandaughter. She says, well my grandma loves to sew, that's all she likes to do, and then she says, and my grandma is an Awesome quilter! :) Don't worry about it, things will turn around when you least expect it. And yes, your quilt is a work of art, my jaw just drops looking at it, you go girl :)
    Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 PM

I suppose that the nobel thing is to just be happy within yourself when you have accomplished something you are proud of. No doubt there is a whole lot of that but, we don't create in a vaccum. What artist creates and then hides it away where no one will ever see it? Maybe some do but that's a whole other issue and not the norm.

From the maker of the humblest potholder to a world famous clothing designer, they all want their efforts seen, enjoyed, and admired. Some people would be thrilled with a potholder and others would thumb their noses at anything less than runway worthy.

The ones who love the art of taking little pieces of fabric and making something fabulous will either find us or we find them. Like right here on this board.
    Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 AM

I read an article a while ago, on colonial women traveling from Britain to the new land of America. They knew they would never see their families and friends again, and they frantically made quilts to take on the journey, using what little they had to hand.
    There was a quote at the end of the story, from that time, that touched my heart. I copied it onto the pc, printed out, and stuck on my wall...

A woman made utility quilts as fast as she could so her family wouldn't freeze. She made them as beautiful as she could so her heart wouldn't break.

We make quilts for us, dude, no one else. :-)
    Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 AM

Absolutely AMAZING!!!! It came out great! Colors are awesome, layout is perfect! Don't for one minute think you are an amatuer!!
    Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    A woman made utility quilts as fast as she could so her family wouldn't freeze. She made them as beautiful as she could so her heart wouldn't break.
    That is a beautiful quote.

I DO know my children. The daughter that the quilt is for IM'd me: "i got your email. looks nice"
    Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM

your quilt is very pretty!
    Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Pam, I know and appreciate all the time, effort, energy, talent, creativity and love you poured into this quilt. Everyone here recognizes your talent, too!! Someday your daughters will appreciate it too.

There is no way you can call yourself a beginner quilter anymore!

Your quilt is spectacular!! You should be grinning from ear to ear every time you look at it--I know I would be if it were mine. And I love the name---"starred and feathered"!!

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Oh Pam....it turned out even prettier than I imagined! (and I imagined it would be pretty fantastic) You've done a great job with it from design on out! Now...for the quilting...I can't wait to see what you do. You have some wonderful large areas in the center part of the quilt to really have some fun :lol: I just love it, love it.....I'll be sending you my addy!!! :lol:
    .....and I will be waiting for the mailman at her mailbox :lol: :lol:
    Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM

I’m not a beginner… I’m an amateur. :lol: Engaged in as a pastime. Lacking professional skill or expertise. Stems from the Latin root of the word meaning a "lover of". In this sense, an amateur may be as competent as a paid professional, yet is motivated by a love or passion for the activity

I have always had the impression that to sell quilts they need to be totally perfect. I don’t do perfect so I consider myself an amateur.

I do smile when I look at it. My daughter just might get something else instead. :P
    Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM

very pretty quilt... :D