Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Started the Dahlia quilt >
  • Started the Dahlia quilt

• Started the Dahlia quilt

Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Oh my goodness! That is going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished. Does it have a home yet? Do you need my addy?? :)
    Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Your quilt top is gorgeous. You have certainly done a wonderful job putting together. Do keep us posted!! :D
    Old 02-02-2009, 02:53 AM

Beautiful.
    Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 AM
    Power Poster

:shock: :shock: :shock: Yes, thats me!!! It is going to be fantastic when you are finished! It does look very complicated and even sounds pretty hard to me from your description. I love your fabric choices also...keep showing us pictures...please!!! I want to be able to do that when I grow up!! :lol: :lol:
    Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 AM

It is coming along fantastic. This is going to be a masterpiece when you are done! I can only drool over the thought of being able to do this. It is a definite "someday"- I actually have been looking at patterns for the dahlia. I can live vicariously through you!

Barb
    Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 AM
    Banned

wow! thats gonna be one beauty of a quilt :D
    Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks everyone :-) The encouragement gives me more incentive to keep going and get it done. I'm also trying to quickly finish up another quilt that has been hanging around for a long time. It makes me feel guilty to work on another one when the first one is sitting there... starting at me... accusingly. Just one block to sew (by hand) and I have parts of the border cut out. Sounds simple but there are 32 1" wide pieces, 12 6" wide pieces, and then the final border has mitered and mirrored fabric pattern corners.

I am looking at applique products. I haven't done a ton of it, not small pieces, though I have done things like applique Dresden Plates onto background squares. I've read articles and chosen a very light weight fusible. I like the idea of that rather than other techniques like needle turn and freezer paper. I'm anxious to do something towards it like printing the exact shapes but I'll wait until the top is together. I won't know what size I want the leaves and flowers until I see it in person.

I did see one Dahlia here that was really nice.
    Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Thanks everyone :-) ... It makes me feel guilty to work on another one when the first one is sitting there... starting at me... accusingly. ...
    Oh geez. Would it help if I told you I have more than 70 UFOs? :oops: I've been slowly trying to finish them, though since each is at least bed size it is taking awhile. Most quilters I know have 6-7 projects going at any one time so you are actually doing great in keeping to just two!
    Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 AM

Ummm... I didn't say I just had two of them. :lol:

It's just this one that is bothering me because it is a gift to a man I have been seeing for years and the quilt is about that old too.

I have a compass star that I recently did 4 blocks of, two BOMs, two finished tops, another in the hoop being quilted. One tied that needs 3 edges bound. A Grandmother's Fan that my great-grandmother started around 1936 and I just have the 1/4" turned under on the fan and basted to applique on two out of 80 blocks. I have dozens of completed Dresden Plates that my grandmother made that need the same done to them and sewn onto background squares.

I have inherited UFOs!!

I think that's all and maybe that's not too bad. I would like to get them all done this year and totally move on to new projects.

Seriously, 70 UFOs? It's wonderful starting a new one, all the planning and fabric hunting, isn't it?
    Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Well I certainly feel better knowing you have more then just two UFOs, lol! :lol:

Yeah, 70... :oops: I blame hubby. We moved around a lot over the past 10 years due to his job and each time we moved I would pack everything away and they didn't always get unpacked when we settled down in a new place. Right now I am working on three projects. One I started back in 1999, one is a BOM from 2006, and the other is a scrap quilt I put together from scraps that my friends have given me. I am actually finishing up the backing for that and tomorrow I will meet with a gal who is going to professionally quilt it for me. Normally I quilt my own but I want to try and put this one into some of the larger shows so I'm willing to pay the extra cost to have it done by a Long-arm quilter. It helps that every year my guild has a UFO Challenge (which is in February) and I joined a local UFO Bee, where we get together once a month to work on our UFOs. My goal is to finish 3 UFOs before I start anything new. So far so good. :thumbup: