Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • stupid panels... I can't donate this!! >
  • stupid panels... I can't donate this!!

• stupid panels... I can't donate this!!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Think outside the box and you will come up with a good useable idea. I think it is fine. Kids won't care.
    Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 AM

I would take off the abc border and move the outer border in to be the first border, then add a solid color border on the outside. It will be adorable. You can use your rotary cutter to trim it down, it will go fast, then remove a couple of the strips on the existing border so it fits the new inside. It should fix up pretty quickly.
    Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM

I would have added a border and then squared it up.....let the center block be a little off/wavey/wonky or whatever you'd like to call it. I've done this before when my block was not squareable (is that a term???) but wanted to use it anyway....I just add a small border and ta da .....it can be squared up!
    Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 AM

Sorry that happened but you will come up with a fix you like. Personally, I would leave the finished one finished. Someone will wonder how you ever thought to get it to do that because they think that is the perfect touch. We do not all see things the same way. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You did a good job.
    Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    Luv--I considered taking the abc border off, but I didn't think it'd be square even then! I have one more to play with... I could try. I liked the abc border. I didn't take it off until the first border was on-hoping it'd work. But it was just too weird without the trim. Bummer.
    I know how you feel about having to take it apart. I made a queen-sized quilt for a school auction a few years ago. It wasn't until after it was finished that I saw that the background fabric was from two different dye lots!!! I had never had that happen before. One-third was from one dye lot and 2/3 was from another. There was a definite line that divided them. I tried to match the background fabric from the 2/3 section so I would only have to replace 1/3 of the background, but I couldn't locate that doggone dye lot anywhere!! I could only locate the dye lot from the 1/3 section! I couldn't leave the top looking like that even though everyone told me that "no one would notice except [me]." Having those fabrics not match bothered me so much that I ended up taking off the 2/3 section and replacing it with the dye lot that matched the 1/3 section!! It was a big undertaking, but when I finished, I felt better about submitting it for the auction. It would have bothered me so much knowing that it wasn't right. I'm not a perfectionist, but it kept pulling at my conscience to fix it. 8-)
    Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM
    QKO

I think it looks great the way it is. Looks a little more artistic than just plain square and symmetrical. More interesting to look at...
    Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Oh dear, I have had that happen now and then. There are many times you can use that quilt-if company comes to visit with small children. A sit on the grass quilt with a little one or give it to a needy child they will love it.
    It will not be wasted!
    Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM

It's a precious quilt! Bet it will be someone's favorite sleepy time quilt.
    Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
    Power Poster

In a way, it almost looks intentional - because both sides are at an angle.
    Old 07-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Take off the part with the side alphabet and put in a solid corresponding color. Leave the top and bottom alphabet. Make the solid part just wide enough to fit into the space where the top and bottom alphabets go over. I am sure it will look fine. Then put it back together and enjoy giving it to the library!

quote=Luv Quilts and Cats]That's too bad. I'd say take the borders off and get rid of the abc boarder, but then the borders you make would be too big. Too much a project to re-do. Could you applique a colored border over the abc's.[/quote]