Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Summer Lake Log Cabin - another scrappy quilt >
  • Summer Lake Log Cabin - another scrappy quilt

• Summer Lake Log Cabin - another scrappy quilt

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM

Would you be willing to share some of your notes on making your style quilt?
    I like a bigger size as well and I love the 5 stars. I don't have a computer program for changing around patterns. I do it a lot on my own anyway but since I have never done a log cabin quilt, it will take more brain power than I am willing to exert at the moment.
    I got my book and have enjoyed reading through it. I can't start on it right away cause I have (ahem) a few (ahem) UFO's I really have to finish. (I have much more fun putting the tops together than I do quilting them)
    I have 2 daughters who recently got married (one 2 years ago one a year ago) and I have to make them each a quilt. The oldest is the one getting home from Iraq soon, but she was the second to get married. She keeps telling me I have to get her sisters quilt made so I can make hers. She's even gotten her husband to bring it up a few times!!!! I think one or both of them may fall in love with a log cabin quilt!!!
    Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I like a bigger size as well and I love the 5 stars. I don't have a computer program for changing around patterns. I do it a lot on my own anyway but since I have never done a log cabin quilt, it will take more brain power than I am willing to exert at the moment.
    I got my book and have enjoyed reading through it. I can't start on it right away cause I have (ahem) a few (ahem) UFO's I really have to finish. (I have much more fun putting the tops together than I do quilting them)
    I have 2 daughters who recently got married (one 2 years ago one a year ago) and I have to make them each a quilt. The oldest is the one getting home from Iraq soon, but she was the second to get married. She keeps telling me I have to get her sisters quilt made so I can make hers. She's even gotten her husband to bring it up a few times!!!! I think one or both of them may fall in love with a log cabin quilt!!!
    I'm with Gem on that. I would love to make one bigger and I love your layout.
    Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
    Power Poster

I think you should get busy on quilts for those daughters right away. Thank your daughter for my family for her service in Iraq. You must be very proud of her.

I would be glad to offer any help I can, though not sure what would help. Do you mean how do I enlarge the pattern? For that I rely on EQ6. It makes it easy to flip blocks around and see the total effect. I use EQ6 for some purpose on almost every quilt. Often when I see a quilt that I like I reverse engineer it right away in EQ6 so I can maybe make it later. I have never regretted purchasing that software.

For organizing the logs, I picked up some pointers from Judy Martin's book, and I showed some of the organized scraps here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/23612.page

When it's possible I also use some of Judy's other techniques, such as cutting the strips along the grain of the fabric and starching first.

Hope this helps. I love log cabin quilts - no points to worry about, just strips to cut, and you get so much "bang for the buck."

Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM

dunster,
    that's gorgeous, what is the block in the center of the stars?

thanks,
    pat
    Old 08-25-2009, 03:35 PM

I will tell her of your appreciation for her service. I don't know yet what pattern she will want, I havn't even let her pick on out. Of course I have not seen her in over a year. When she actually gets home, maybe as soon as Friday, after she gets settled in, I will probably have both her and my other daughter look at my patterns and start choosing fabrics out of my stash.
    I have so many UFO's that I have to work on before I get really involved in another large quilt.

What is your finished size on this quilt? I will need a good sized queen. Did you print out some notes? I'm not sure what exactly I need at this point, maybe just the changes you made to the pattern, since I have already purchased the book and have the original pattern.
    Old 08-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Gorgeous!
    Old 08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

What is your finished size on this quilt? I will need a good sized queen. Did you print out some notes? I'm not sure what exactly I need at this point, maybe just the changes you made to the pattern, since I have already purchased the book and have the original pattern.
    They are 9" blocks, so without the borders it is 90" square. I think I put on a 5" border, so that would make it 100" square. I think the Greek key border in the book is very pretty, might want to do that one someday.
    Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 PM

I need to make a king. Any suggestions?
    Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by joeyoz
    How big do you want it to be? That will depend on the size of the bed top(CA king is a little different than regular king), the thickness of the mattress, whether you want extra length for the pillow tuck, whether there's a footboard, how much you want it to go past the mattress, etc.
    Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 AM

It's a regular king, so MAX 117x117. She can put a bed skirt around the bottom to cover anything else that might show.
    Originally Posted by dunster
    Originally Posted by joeyoz
    How big do you want it to be? That will depend on the size of the bed top(CA king is a little different than regular king), the thickness of the mattress, whether you want extra length for the pillow tuck, whether there's a footboard, how much you want it to go past the mattress, etc.