Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Tale of Woe Barn Raising Log Cabin >
  • Tale of Woe Barn Raising Log Cabin

• Tale of Woe Barn Raising Log Cabin

Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 AM

In spite of it all, the quilt is gorgeous! I agree with Baloonatic - just tuck the extra length beneath the pillows, like you would a spread.
    Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 AM
    Power Poster

You did have your challenges with this quilt!

It is lovely.

I'm surprised about your ironing "blowing up" - I think you were fortunate that it didn't turn into a fire.
    Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
    Oh my that is pretty! Sooo sorry about your troubles with it. Have you figured out where did those dratted measurements went awry?? What size bed were you making it for? And I never heard of an iron blowing up!!
    The quilt's extra length could be taken up by tucking it under the pillows. And if you use a bed skirt it might not be too narrow.
    Or if you wanted to make it shorter, you could cut the mountains and top border(s) off, leaving a couple inches of either the green or the purple. The pillows will cover the top edge anyway.
    I think you did a great job!
    Originally Posted by Neesie
    In spite of it all, the quilt is gorgeous! I agree with Baloonatic - just tuck the extra length beneath the pillows, like you would a spread.

It is a lovely quilt and the fact that you persevered till it was finished deserves a mention! Well done! I agree with Baloonatic and Neesie, the extra length can be tucked under the pillow. I have intentionally made a quilt for my mum that was extra long so that it could be tucked under the pillow when laid on the bed. Only thing is, I could not find wadding that was wide and longer than usual. So it is still waiting to be quilted! It'll get done when I am ready but for now, the top is finished. Best wishes.
    Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM

So sorry you had so many stumbling blocks along the way, but I'm happy that your answer was "Y'es" to your question!
    Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 AM

As a retired teacher, I've always said that a lot of quilting is problem solving, and you did a great job solving the problems you stumbled upon with your quilt. It is absolutely gorgeous!! So glad you are a quilter!!

Linda in MO
    Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 AM
    Power Poster

Your quilt is lovely and the Delectable mountain border is delectable. If you're not happy with tucking the extra up over the pillows, you could remove some of the border and make it into a bed runner for going on top. Some quilts just fight you right to the end, don't they?
    Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Despite it's being a pain in your back side, it came out beautiful. I love the colors. Why not take out the green border and bring up the flowered border and mountains. That should make it bout queen sized. I'm no expert so I don't pretend to know what your solution might be for sure. But I do know it's beautiful and should be on a bed. Like others before me in the posting, I'll offer up mine as a solution to the problem :-). Be proud, stand strong and quilt on!
    Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

That's too bad that you had so many issues with your quilt but it turned out gorgeous. No one will know when they look at it. Keep on quilting this only happens once in a while.
    Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Thanks to everybody that took the time to look at my post and offer up good and positive comments. It is for a queen log bed and the sides meet nicely with the bed railings, it's just the length, so I put two pillows on top of each other for added height and tuck it underneath the pillows and pull it almost to the mattress on top of the pillows and it somehow works out okay. To answer the question of where I went wrong mathematically, I listened to my DH when I wanted to put border on 3 sides instead of 4, and he said it wasn't right to do it that way. Yes, the iron could have caused a fire as it just flashed hot immediately in my hand when I was using it. It's a lesson I won't forget. The kind people on this board has been my inspiration. Thanks to all.
    Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
    Power Poster

Well there's your answer - never listen to DH when you're quilting, LOL. Your quilt is beautiful and you've figured out how to solve the length problem, so all is good.