Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Texas Quilt >
  • Texas Quilt

• Texas Quilt

Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 PM

How cool is that!!! Are you making one for each state, or are Texas and New York just really special to you?
    Old 07-23-2008, 10:06 PM

:thumbup: great job!
    Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 AM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Great job. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 AM

Very Cool!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks to all of you. I love getting responses on my quilts.
    Now, to answer your questions.
    I thought this up all by my litttle self. Many of the items are from clipart but a few I drew free hand. These being the cactus, the oil well, and the flame part of the campfire. The Alamo was from a picture in the Texas tourism book. I enlarged it and put as close to San Antonio while outside the stateline. I considered putting it inside but it takes up a lot of room.
    The state flag is four separate pieces of fabric that I cut very carefully. I am quite proud of it. It looks just like it is one piece. If you look really closely at the camp fire, you can see "smoke" that I drew on with a grey pencil. I considered putting in some modern things like the Johnson Space Center but I left it old fashioned looking. The outline of the state was drawn from the map I got when I called the 8888Tex number.

I remember when I was first beginning to work on it. I had to have a background fabric that said "Western" to me. I found the horseshoe print and knew that would be the one I would use.

I put the yellow rose in the middle, the cactus where I believe the real ones might be, and the guitar is near Lubbock for the singer Mac Davis.

I feel very stronly about Texas as several of my favorite people were born there. Brent Spiner (Data on Star Trek), Carol Burnett, and DAN RATHER, I have liked him for a long time.

About New York..... My mother was born there, and her father. But the main reason I wanted to do one of this state is because of Richard Schlesinger of the CBS News. He is my FAVORITE news correspondent.

I may someday do one of Massachusetts where I was born. I don't know if I will do all Fifty states but maybe some others might get inspired and think about making some of their states.

And now I have a question. What is the name of the town between the saddle, boot, and hat?

Anne
    Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM

Hmmmm....well I believe the boot is Louisiana....hmmmm maybe Texas?

My mom was born in New York too! She was born and raised on Long Island. Even though she's been here for many many years, every now and again she still has that Long Islander accent :). I think it's very cool that your quilts reflect special things in your life! What wonderful family heirlooms. Have you written these things down in a journal? A pic of the quilt with the story behind it would be an awesome family history for later generations!!
    Old 07-24-2008, 06:21 PM
    Power Poster

As a matter of fact, yes. I make note of the name of the quilt, what number it is, how big it is, who I made it for (if someone besides myself)
    when I made it, sometimes even some notes about a special fabric I put in it. I am enclosing a picture of the label. When I started quilting, I did not put labels, but now I do. When I used to do cross stitch, my mother would say that if I put who I am and when I made it on the back, in a hundred years it will be worth more to whomever owns it.

My Mom was born on Long Island too. Richmond Hill. She also grew up in Babylon, and Hempstead. She used to work at Jones Beach. Ask your Mom if she has heard of these.

Anne
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-45517.jpe  
    Old 07-25-2008, 07:40 AM

I know she's been to Jone's Beach, she tells me stories about there all the time!! I'll ask her about the other towns. I do know that she lived in Bethpage (where my grandma was born and raised) and use to walk I think it was 3 miles with her quarter to see the movies in Hicksville. She said the quarter was enough for the movie, and an orange soda LOL. Tells you how long ago that was huh LOL.

I called her and she's heard of Babylon, and they use to go to Hempstead quite a bit. The little town she grew up in was called North Bethpage, but was still part of Bethpage. She said the other little town on the other side of her hometown was called Farmingdale. When I mentioned Jones Beach, she said Ohhh we LOVED going there! She lights up everytime she thinks about going there, must have a lot of great childhood memories I'd say LOL
    Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
    Power Poster

It's wonderful to think of places you have been and had a good time. I would love to see New York City again. I have not been there since 1996.
    I have researched it and made plans but I will not have the money unless I can get a job. But I need a car to get a job and I need a job to get a car. Oh, well. I can find pictures on line.

Tell your mother hello from me.

Anne
    Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Hey Boston...I forgot to mention how cool it is that you're keeping such a great journal!!

I've never been to New York, but maybe one day. Mom says Hello back at "ya's" LOL Gotta love that accent huh LOL