Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • They've kept it on display for over 20yrs!!!! >
  • They've kept it on display for over 20yrs!!!!

• They've kept it on display for over 20yrs!!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 AM

What a special project you and the children put together! Maybe it will hang there another 50 years or more and become even more special. A keepsake idea, for sure!
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 AM

That is what I call loved and appreciated!!
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
    history: When my children we're starting school we lived in canada and my daughter was in french imersion school - during second grade (1990) i made a quilt with her class that we then presented to the principal during an assembly. The school was named after a french explorer so i did the first and last blocks in pen and ink drawings depicting the explorer and the school- the rest of the blocks the kids did of different things canadian-flags, nature, animals etc. In crayons - some are free hand drawn some were pictures from books. The kids sewed one side of the sashing on their block with an antique hand crank singer machine i have and i sewed the rest. I then took it back to school with a frame and the kids crawled under the quilt and we hand tied it together. They all had fun doing this. I made a small wall hanging with the class picture and all the kids signed it. I wrote a history in english on it and teacher wrote the same in french. The principal had no idea we were doing it and was very surprised. I recently found the schools website on the internet and wrote to the vice-principal -they had had it all mounted behind plexiglass and it still hangs in the foyer of the school. They are about to celebrate the schools 25 aniversary this next year. I'm so proud they felt it was important to preserve it they way they have.

Ps: My daugters square is the one with the maple leave in the magnifying glass.
    awesome what a great story i just love them like that history in the making right before our eyes.thanks for sharing.have a blessed day.
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Thank you for sharing both the story and the quilt.
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM

As a teacher, this story warms my heart. Each of us leave a legacy and your legacy along with this class of second graders is quilt that resides in the school. I am sure this experience lives in the memories of those children who are now all adults. Bet they will be looking for a teacher for their own children who will encourage their students to learn like this this. These grown up students may not remember your name but you will be remembered along with a teacher that allowed learning to happen in a new but really very traditional way.
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 AM

My niece is an asst principal and teacher and we have talked about doing this using her class.
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Just curious....what was the name of the school....i taught in a french school all my teaching career...just wondering if the school had the same name as the one i was at....this is an amazing heirloom....thy should keep it forever...
    Originally Posted by quiltlady
    History: When my children we're starting school we lived in Canada and my daughter was in French Imersion school - during second grade (1990) I made a quilt with her class that we then presented to the principal during an assembly. The school was named after a French Explorer so I did the first and last blocks in pen and ink drawings depicting the explorer and the school- the rest of the blocks the kids did of different things Canadian-flags, nature, animals etc. in crayons - some are free hand drawn some were pictures from books. The kids sewed one side of the sashing on their block with an antique hand crank Singer machine I have and I sewed the rest. I then took it back to school with a frame and the kids crawled under the quilt and we hand tied it together. They all had fun doing this. I made a small wall hanging with the class picture and all the kids signed it. I wrote a history in English on it and teacher wrote the same in French. The principal had no idea we were doing it and was very surprised. I recently found the schools website on the internet and wrote to the vice-principal -They had had it all mounted behind plexiglass and it still hangs in the foyer of the school. They are about to celebrate the schools 25 Aniversary this next year. I'm so proud they felt it was important to preserve it they way they have.

ps: my daugters square is the one with the maple leave in the magnifying glass.

Last edited by huntannette; 01-07-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Boy that is great. I'm so glad they realized what a treasure you had given to them.
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM

You did a great job.
    I am glad it will be there for the anniversary
    and hopefully forever.
    J J
    Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Super lovely