Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Trips around the world >
  • Trips around the world

• Trips around the world

Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM

beutiful
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 AM

beautiful. I have a trip around the world to quilt on my LA and was about to post a question for suggestions. I would love to have at least a simple line drawing of what you did. It's wonderful. Did you start in the center and then roll back and forth. I'm a beginner so would this be a bit too ambitious? The quilt is for my own use so I only have to please myself as far as workmanship. Any help would be appreciated. Anyone else is welcome to suggest possible designs. The quilt is 61x74
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 AM

I sure do wish you lived in our county so I could take FMQ lessons from you. Thanks to you, the quilt has many years of use in it and the artistic effects will turn many heads. Congrats to both the piecer and the quilter!
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 AM

WOW!!! Absolutely wonderfull!!
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sylvia storey
    beautiful. I have a trip around the world to quilt on my LA and was about to post a question for suggestions. I would love to have at least a simple line drawing of what you did. It's wonderful. Did you start in the center and then roll back and forth. I'm a beginner so would this be a bit too ambitious? The quilt is for my own use so I only have to please myself as far as workmanship. Any help would be appreciated. Anyone else is welcome to suggest possible designs. The quilt is 61x74
    Actually I started at the top and worked my way down. I usually always do that ...I only roll back and forth with thread changes...usually.

I used the trips as points of reference to keep everything in line..that is the great thing about this type of quilt. I wanted a design in each corner and the center that were similar...and then I started with feathers....in several sections of trips..filled in with ribbons....and then I wanted something to POP out around the center and chose the swirlies....Lots of feather work....Had it been my own quilt I would have done heavier quilting and filled in those feathers..but most people don't like stiff quilts and really her quilt needed to be seen more than my quilting because it is her gift. There was alot of turning because since teh trips go diagnally there were some areas I could only quilt a foot at a time...when I normally have two. I hope that helps you.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 AM

thank you so much. By turning, do you mean you remove the quilt from the rollers? How many times did you have to do that. Did you quilt all you could, then turn, then quilt, then turn?
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sylvia storey
    thank you so much. By turning, do you mean you remove the quilt from the rollers? How many times did you have to do that. Did you quilt all you could, then turn, then quilt, then turn?
    No, I never took the quilt off..I meant that as I was working down... I had to roll quite a bit because the design goes at a diagnal ..as you are quilting you will see....and understand better I think. When you quilt at a diagnal one side is shorter than the other...so you can't go as far.
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 AM

wow..it is beautiful
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
    mim

what a lot of technique goes into it !! In addition to the artistic ability. I am amazed at what you both have produced!!

Mim
    Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Dreamy quilting design to soften the "squareness" of all the blocks. Wonderful job!