Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • True love's knot >
  • True love's knot

• True love's knot

Old 03-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Hey Barb, that's one nice quilt. I don't think it's the same pattern, but love the interlocking quality just the same. When you going to make one? :wink:
    Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Steve
    In my mind, I always hold my father up as the standard. He always does things well (in my mind) because he works hard at it, and anything less isn't something he does. My little brother is in his mid- forties and still goes to therapy over this 'issue'. I guess all three of us boys just idolize our father and set our own expectations way too high. We see the good in our work, but the flaws just nag at us.

Yes, you are right Yvonne, I know in my heart you are. The beauty should trample the insecurity right out of there. If I spent even half the energy working harder as I do grumbling and fretting, improvements would be a given.

:roll:
    Of course I'm right, Steve! :mrgreen: I didn't say it would be easy but you just have to learn. I think that's hard for everyone to learn to just say, "Thank you!" and not say, oh, but did you notice... Someone wise once told me that when you do that you are slamming the other persons judgement. "Oh, you don't know what you're talking about. Look at this!" and I know you don't want to do that!

I can also understand growing up with parents who, in my eyes, were perfect! My dad was a carpenter. In the last home he built for our mother he used knotty pine in the kitchen. He matched the knots on the cupboard doors. You could hardly see where the opening was because it looked like one piece of wood! He was the ultimate craftsman. Our mother was a homemaker and made all of our clothes. We were the best dressed girls in our little town. At least we felt that way! Mom and Dad always expected us to do our best. I can remember bringing home an all 'A' report card with one A-. Dad was proud and I could tell but he looked at me and said, "Well, there's room for improvement!" :lol:
    I used to ask our daughters the famous question, "Did you do your best?" That was all I requested of them. Do your best and be proud of it!

(end of lecture!)
    Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 AM

You guys all give good council about NOT pointing out your own mistakes. We are all our worst critics and if you think about it, you wouldn't necessarily point out your friend's mistake on a quilt so treat yourself at least as good as you would treat your friends and don't point out the mistakes on your own. My quilt teacher tells us if a mistake isn't visible while galloping by on a slow moving horse then it really isn't much of a mistake...if it's noticable no matter what and by whom, then maybe you want to get your rippppppppittttttt gadget out and do a fix. Happy quilting. You all do phenominal work and are so inspirational. Thank You.
    Old 03-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Steve, your Loves Knot quilt is wonderful. I, too, like the orange in the sashing. Someone sent a picture they got off the Internet for a Lover's Knot block...the picture of the block she sent is the one our quilt class did several years ago. It's a nice block, too.
    Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Well I sure had fun doing it and like looking at it, so something must be right. It's true, we are our own worse critic, but why point it out and spoil it for others?

Live and learn, and learn, and learn... :wink:
    Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Quilting is a learning process that never ends. I know I'm bad when it comes to picking out mistakes in my work and it took a long time and a lot of hard work to see them as a lesson. To me that is all part of the fun involved in quilting, I still get excited when sewing pieces together and seeing the outcome when I press them open...

I grew up with parents who set extremely high expectations for us kids, which put tremendous stress on us, more so for me because I am dyslexic. In time I found ways to do things that took the confusion out of the equation and worked for me, but I always felt I disappointed them even though I know they never intended their comments to have that affect.

With my own kids I expected them to do the best they could, and my only question to them was, "are you happy with the results?" because in the end that is all that matters. It's so easy to dwell on the negative and over look the positives....I believe that just because someone doesn't do something the way you think they should, doesn't mean they didn't do it to the best of their ability....

Steve your work is awesome, you have a good eye for color,so quit being so hard on yourself. :)

Okay, I've put my soap box away now.... :) LOL
    Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM

I still say that that is the funniest part about the whole thing. When I started, what I worried most about was being able to pick out the colors. Now, it seems that's what I do pretty well. I suppose the rest of quilting will settle down the same way as I learn. Cool!
    Old 03-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Hmmm...i dont think im gonna make this pattern steve, at least, not on my list of things to do soon, but maybe someday. I love yours so much, i will just enjoy looking at yours instead :)
    Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM

I love the colors and the design. Less is more sometimes, especially in this case.
    Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

beautiful quilt steve...i have been thinking about doing this for my son in black and white so on a scale of difficulty of 1 - 5 (5 being the hardest) where would you rate it for a beginner? Everyone is right your quilt is awesome so learn to accept compliments for your work as you will get lots more going by your quilting efforts so far! :thumbup: