Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Unicorn quilt >
  • Unicorn quilt

• Unicorn quilt

Old 11-15-2018, 04:49 AM

Thank you all so much for the kind words and ideas for the appliques! I will play around with one of the blocks and see how they look with a bit of an outline or minimal stitching to hold the designs down just a bit. I love them the way they are also, but some of the pieces are pretty large and do have some wave to them so they might benefit from some minimal stitching. I am hoping to finish it up over Thanksgiving! Only two blocks and the borders to go! Thank you all!!
    Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 AM

Oh how adorable! Have you washed the quilt? If you wash it and it still appears loose in certain areas I would go in and do inside echoing one time on the applique.
    Old 11-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Darling quilt!!
    Old 11-15-2018, 07:00 AM
    Power Poster

That is so adorable! And your quilting is gorgeous!
    Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Your echo quilting looks so very pretty; mine not so much. Beautiful quilt btw.
    Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Yes, (worry about it).....hahaha......Don’t leave any areas unquilted at this point. Because of the amount of echoing you have done in the large blocks, your sashing between the large blocks should have an equal amount of quilting (proportionate to the size of the sashing). They need quilting in them to stabilize them and it will help the overall look and longevity of the quilt and make it lay flat. If you leave these areas unquilted they will sag with use and the piecing stitches may come loose over time.

a second thought: perhaps some straight lines or X’s in the sashing areas....they don’t need to be echoed. It would add interest to the echoing already done.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 11-15-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 AM

I agree with Tartan, and stay just a bit aside of the metallic thread.
    Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    Yes, (worry about it).....hahaha......Don’t leave any areas unquilted at this point. Because of the amount of echoing you have done in the large blocks, your sashing between the large blocks should have an equal amount of quilting (proportionate to the size of the sashing). They need quilting in them to stabilize them and it will help the overall look and longevity of the quilt and make it lay flat. If you leave these areas unquilted they will sag with use and the piecing stitches may come loose over time.

a second thought: perhaps some straight lines or X’s in the sashing areas....they don’t need to be echoed. It would add interest to the echoing already done.
    I am definitely quilting the sashing, most have already been quilted. I was wondering what to do with the appliques since some pieces are rather large and a few have a bit of a a "wave" to them. I will probably try something very simple in one of the blocks and see how it looks.
    Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by tippydog90
    I am definitely quilting the sashing, most have already been quilted. I was wondering what to do with the appliques since some pieces are rather large and a few have a bit of a a "wave" to them. I will probably try something very simple in one of the blocks and see how it looks.
    Sorry tippydog. I was just admiring the quilting in the blocks. :-). About the appliqués......... :-). I would stitch through the large appliqués with blending threads to get them secured and to flatten them. (Personally I do not use invisible thread but I know many many people do like using it and that is another option).
    Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 PM

In stitching through, I would find shapes to follow such as were appliqué pieces meet or simple follow the appliqué shape around outside edge. I agree with others that maybe a contrasting line for the sashing such as triangles or other sharp lines to offset the curvy echo quilting.