Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Using a cricut machine to cut fabric - pictures! >
  • Using a cricut machine to cut fabric - pictures!

• Using a cricut machine to cut fabric - pictures!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    I have a cricut expression and my fabric cutting experience was not pleasant. I bought it just for cutting fabric - I'll watch this thread to see if anyone posts a new one that I haven't tried.

Originally Posted by Corry
    Yes, I have done this recently with a quilt I made my FIL. I cut out his name with the Cricut. It worked really great! I starched my fabric first and had my heat n bond on the bottom. No problem.
    What is the problem when you try to cut? I know for me, I have to really starch the fabric first, then do the heat n.bond AND I have to stand there and monitor the progress. If the fabric gets caught, I try to "release" it. I also have to make sure the fabric is really stuck down to the mat. Sometimes I use the 505 spray adhesive on the mat to make sure it is sticky.

Blade is set at "6", speed is on slow and pressure is on high. Any of this info helpful? Or have you tried it all already?
    Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 PM

at some points, it doesn't cut the thread all of the way through and then it ends up pulling the fabric up and making a big knot underneath. It is a new blade. Are you cutting cotton fabrics?

I'll have to get some 505 spray - does that make the fabric funky feeling or looking once put on your project after cutting?

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
    I have a cricut expression and my fabric cutting experience was not pleasant. I bought it just for cutting fabric - I'll watch this thread to see if anyone posts a new one that I haven't tried.

Yes, I have done this recently with a quilt I made my FIL. I cut out his name with the Cricut. It worked really great! I starched my fabric first and had my heat n bond on the bottom. No problem.
    What is the problem when you try to cut? I know for me, I have to really starch the fabric first, then do the heat n.bond AND I have to stand there and monitor the progress. If the fabric gets caught, I try to "release" it. I also have to make sure the fabric is really stuck down to the mat. Sometimes I use the 505 spray adhesive on the mat to make sure it is sticky.

Blade is set at "6", speed is on slow and pressure is on high. Any of this info helpful? Or have you tried it all already?
    Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 PM
    MTS
    Banned

Just a FYI - I used Wonder Under on the ones I cut and I did have some air pockets between the fabric layer and the wonder under. Not good - it causes the blade to get caught on the fabric or the paper. I would stick with Heat n Bond - heat n bond lite is what was recommended by the people on youtube. I cut some letters for my DD's quilt with heat n bond and didn't get those air pockets.
    Prior to reading anything, I was going to use Steam-a-Seam Lite, mostly because I have a ton of it. I guess I'll have to test it first before committing.

So I went to Joann's this afternoon to check out the machines. :roll: Yeah, I know. But I was really curious.

The demo video was playing when I got there. Huge coincidence that they were demonstrating flowers on the Gypsy thingamijig. It's very, very, very cool. The way you lay it out and adjust the location and the size and whether it's welded (or melded) to other motifs. I watched it twice.

And, most importantly for me, they showed how the blade actually works on the Cricut. I finally "got" it - I kept thinking it was like a die and I couldn't understand how all this flexibility was possible. Now I know. Yay!

The manager says they aren't selling the Gypsy anymore - retail $299. She thought this could mean a new model was coming out. The Expression was on sale for $199, and the little guy was under $100.

But I just checked on eBay and there seems to be a ton of the Gypsy devices listed with ending prices of around $100. So if I got that with the little Cricut, that's less than the HSN special. Not that I'm going to go that route but it's nice to know all my options.
    (Sorry for the long url but no tinyurls allowed.)
    http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.htm...=p3286.c0.m282

Anyway, thanks for sharing all the great information. It's been really helpful and I really, really appreciate your attempt to educate a complete newbie.

This quilt might actually get made sooner rather than later.
    Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM

I have not had the 505 cause any problems. And just for the record, if you have baby wipes in the house, they are great for cleaning the mat off. They don't effect the sticky-ness!

I have added a picture of what I use to smooth the surface of the fabric/heat n bond as the cricut is cutting. This is one of the items in the cricut tool kit. You don't need it, but I bought it so figured I might as well start using it.

(I'm talking about the triangular shaped tool in the upper right hand side of the photo. ) Once I start the cutting process, I rub the flat side of this over the surface of the fabric as close to the cutting blade as I can get. It might just be my imagination, but I think it helps. This is not a "hit cut and walk away" type of experience for me, but quite honestly, my machine is rather finicky. I have hosted scrapbooking retreats in the past and some of my clients were cricut users. They all said my machine was much more tempermental than theirs. They never had cutting problems and mine sometimes did. Lucky me :(

at some points, it doesn't cut the thread all of the way through and then it ends up pulling the fabric up and making a big knot underneath. It is a new blade. Are you cutting cotton fabrics?

I'll have to get some 505 spray - does that make the fabric funky feeling or looking once put on your project after cutting?

Attached Thumbnails attachment-225553.jpe  
    Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Just a FYI - I used Wonder Under on the ones I cut and I did have some air pockets between the fabric layer and the wonder under. Not good - it causes the blade to get caught on the fabric or the paper. I would stick with Heat n Bond - heat n bond lite is what was recommended by the people on youtube. I cut some letters for my DD's quilt with heat n bond and didn't get those air pockets.
    Prior to reading anything, I was going to use Steam-a-Seam Lite, mostly because I have a ton of it. I guess I'll have to test it first before committing.

So I went to Joann's this afternoon to check out the machines. :roll: Yeah, I know. But I was really curious.

The demo video was playing when I got there. Huge coincidence that they were demonstrating flowers on the Gypsy thingamijig. It's very, very, very cool. The way you lay it out and adjust the location and the size and whether it's welded (or melded) to other motifs. I watched it twice.

And, most importantly for me, they showed how the blade actually works on the Cricut. I finally "got" it - I kept thinking it was like a die and I couldn't understand how all this flexibility was possible. Now I know. Yay!

The manager says they aren't selling the Gypsy anymore - retail $299. She thought this could mean a new model was coming out. The Expression was on sale for $199, and the little guy was under $100.

But I just checked on eBay and there seems to be a ton of the Gypsy devices listed with ending prices of around $100. So if I got that with the little Cricut, that's less than the HSN special. Not that I'm going to go that route but it's nice to know all my options.
    (Sorry for the long url but no tinyurls allowed.)
    http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.htm...=p3286.c0.m282

Anyway, thanks for sharing all the great information. It's been really helpful and I really, really appreciate your attempt to educate a complete newbie.

This quilt might actually get made sooner rather than later.
    I am a visual learner so I totally get "not getting it" until you see it in action ! Glad you were able to get to view it in person. Try the Steam-a-seam. I haven't heard anything bad about it. I did hear the wonder-under didn't work as well, but I had it on hand and thought what the heck.... I haven't seen the gypsy in action, but now I'm thinking I might need too !

Good luck to you and I can't wait to see the quilt top finished !
    Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM
    MTS
    Banned

Ohhhhhhhhhh, pretty, pretty tools. In lime green. My favorite color.

Oy.

Now I might have to buy the whole shebang up just to get those.
    Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Ohhhhhhhhhh, pretty, pretty tools. In lime green. My favorite color.

Oy.

Now I might have to buy the whole shebang up just to get those.
    You might like the color, but the tools are not that necessary - believe me ! I've used 2 of them!

My machine is finicky... I have friends that have machines that are not - although they are just cutting paper - like I was "back then". If you are thinking of buying one,(and just using it to cut fabric) I would buy it at a store where you could return it if it doesn't do what you want. (You might not be able to return the opened carts though.) It's a lot of money - a big investment - if it does not cut like you want it to...