Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......wavy borders!! >
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......wavy borders!!

• Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......wavy borders!!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM

I have followed this advise and have had success.
    http://www.quiltville.com/borderhints.shtml
    Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Didn’t read all the threads, but second the suggestion that you measure the middle and both sides. I would also check to see if anything is going on with the pieced boarder. On my avatar I had to adjust the pieced section of boarder to get the size right. Lost a few points, but gained a straight boarder. It is obvious that you have many hours in your quilt. Take the extra time to get the boarders so you like them. It looks like you have more fabric than will quilt out easily. Just don't give up on quilting.
    Old 12-11-2010, 12:52 PM

You have to be really careful with the Bias. If there is stretch, it's important to pin the border making sure not to stretch the fabric and sew leaving the needle until you reach it on the machine. Slow and easy. It's also important that you PRESS (just setting the iron on the seam with fabric right-side up) don't iron it moving the iron. Then turn over to wrong side of fabric and press the seam again. Work out to the edge. DO NOT go back and forth running the iron parallel to the seam. Hope this helps.
    Originally Posted by Candace
    Are you stretching the fabric as you're sewing? I would use a cotton batting and when you quilt it and shrink it up, I think you'll like it better.
    Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Usually if the borders are wavy, it means you have too much fabric in the borders. I would take them off and remeasure and sew them on again.
    Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM

What I do, is bring both my sides of the quilt together...then measure the lenght of each side and on the fold end I would measure...generally, if the two side borders are so closely matched in measurement I will use that (Left border 68 3/4", right border 68 3/4 and a little bit, folded edge 68 1/2" (which would be the center of the quilt)I would use the 68 3/4 in...mark the center of the border strip and middle of quilt...match the center marks up and pin, then gentle flatten out my border strip one way to corner and pin...if there is a little over hang, I leave it until I have the border completely pinned on...then if you trim off the border strip, make sure you trim it at a true 90 degree angle...hope this helps...
    Old 12-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Been there, done that! If you find a foolproof answer, let me know! I think your quilt is beautiful!
    Old 12-11-2010, 04:21 PM

Your quilt is beautiful Cory. I have had wavy borders to. I don't know why that happens. I haven't figured it out yet. I think the part the borders are attached to must get stretched is the only think I can think of.
    Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 PM

It's a beautiful quilt!!!! I think the ripples will come out in the quilting and streaching. I had a border that did that and when I did the FM quilting it was fine.
    Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Mitered corners created a wave in one of my quilts. I ended up taking the edges off & redoing it, for about the 3rd time. Very annoying. It was still a bit wavy afterwards, but I ended up putting wavy quilting lines in it (serpentine) to 'disguise' it & you can't tell anymore.
    Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM

I think if it was correct before the borders it has to be the miter. Perhaps you can make corner blocks of the dark color to finish the borders.