Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • What do you like best and least about your sewing space? >
  • What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

• What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM

My room is the old family room in the lower level of a split, so I'm half underground. Its cool in summer and cold in winter!!Its currently carpeted. That is both a blessing and a curse! The lighting is awful..2 ceiling lights and my Ott light. Still rather unorganized, but painted a great cottage blue and large. Its getting there. If I can get a spare day or two maybe magic can happen and the sewing room fairies will pick up, organize and take the grown kids "save it for me Mom" stuff away :lol: :lol: :lol: And right after that, I'll figure out how to post pictures :!:
    Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    I have to say Bev I would love your view. How do you get any quilting done? I'd spend too much time looking out the window.
    its hard sometimes.... Many times i find myself daydreaming... :D
    Old 01-17-2009, 05:54 AM
    Power Poster

I just have a little nook in the corner of a bedroom. Its cramped..so I do piece in there, but the quilting has to move to the kitchen table. Come to think of it...my quilting stuff has managed to move all over the house. Maybe someday...

Best...I can shut the door if I need to
    Least..not enough room
    Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 AM

I have the smallest BR in the house and it is stuffed full. My DH says what goes in never comes out. ha. I don't have an empty wall for a design wall either....use the bed across the hall. I have two 7 foot cabinets, big board, sewing table with extension and thats about all I can get in there. ha. One thing I would love is a taller cutting table but if I have alot to do I go to kitchen counter with an extra cutting mat. Love your view also
    Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 AM

WEll the only thing I can say that I like is that I have a sewing machine in here, I have to share this 8x9 space with the computer, file cabinents and book cases. It is very cramped and I can not move my sewing chair even an inch, I have to stuff myself into the corner to sew. If the boys ever move out I will have a large room in the basement with sliding glass doors that overlook the creek. I keep waiting but maybe in the next 10 years! I have two back at home right now so they took over the basement and repainted the room I was setting up. It was so cool with plaid walls white with turquoise, yellow hot pink and lime green plaid design. That lasted about 1 monthe before they started to move back in! This economy is hard on kids just starting out. I don't mind them being here but would love to be able to spread out a bit.
    Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 AM

What I love about my sewing room is that it is all my own. what I want to change is the carpeting. I wish I had hardwood floors.
    Old 01-17-2009, 08:16 AM

My sewing space is small by some standards but I have crammed a lot into it. I have a commercial embroidery machine and a Voyager LA set up at 8 feet. There is a lot of "stuff" in my sewing room and I could wish for more room, but it isn't going to happen any time soon. So I made as many things as possible do double duty. There are pictures in my Webshots album here of the sewing room. It is a little messy because it wasn't quite finished in these pictures.
    I also made a design wall from PVC pipe that is free standing and can be taken apart and stored in a little bag about the size of a camping tent. Those pictures are here too. Also, in my Webshots album. If you have any questions about making one, let me know. I would be happy to tell you what I did. It cost about $40.
    Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 AM

I have 2 rooms - just for me! And even with 3 teenagers still in the house! My quilt frame sits in what used to be the study (the study got moved to the living room that never got used). I like it because it's on the first floor right near the kitchen and the laundry room so I can multi-task. It also gets lots of sunlight during the day so it's really cheerful. My other sewing space is a finished room in the basement (that originally was my DH's office - I guess I'm taking over here). I love the glass front cabinet I got from IKEA last summer to organize my stash, the closet I've stuffed full of shelving, the great overhead lighting, the room for all my work tables so I can keep 3 machines set up at once, and the fact that I can shut the door when I don't want anybody to see my mess. The only drawback is the lack of a window I can see out. Oh, well ... you can't have everything.
    Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 AM

LOVE- It's MINE, MINE, MINE!!! I can leave stuff out and not worry about the kitty eating it since no animals are down there and the kids know better than to mess with stuff! I like that when one of the kids comes down, we can talk privately about what's going on with them. I've found that teens talk more openly without a sibling listening in!

HATE- The lighting! I'm in the basement in the 'family room'. It's more of a cave with no windows. Not even one of the little basement windows. The light sucks. Luckly, TJ is an electrician and is going to change that out and put in a BIG light for me. Plus he's going to add some more plug-ins. I have one and have to use extention cords and power bars. Just need to get the money to pay for the changes.....maybe if I stop buying fabric! I also don't like that I have such a small stash. Guess that will get better in time too.
    Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 AM

I have a vinyl tablecloth with a fuzzy (flannel??) back on it that I nailed to the room's wall; it serves as my design wall. This room is in my basement so I didn't feel too stressed at nailing the tablecloth corners to the wall.