Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • What do you think? >
  • What do you think?

• What do you think?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM

Ok, so I got a little side tracked. I had just asked you all on friday about border widths on a quilt that had been waiting for 2 years to be finished. So while I waited for inspiration and suggestions from ya'll I started a lap size charity quilt, got the blocks all done and then last night as I went to bed I thought about making a quilt for a friend, well she is the wife of our head pastor at the church my DH is working at, anyway she was very ill and spent a week in the hospital and had surgery and is now home recovering. I got a call about 9 last night about providing a meal for them for next saturday and I started thinking about maybe bringing her a quilt. So, I did not sleep well, got up this morning pulled fabrics from my stash, went to church and came home and started this quilt. It is a warm wished and I just got the top together. I am trying to decide which border fabrics I want to use. I am going to use the light print for a wide border and the purple for the binding but am trying to decide if I should add a narrow border and which one to use. I am leaning toward the very light green. I will make it a 1 to 1.5 in finished size and the wider border will be 3.5 in finished.

Choice #1
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]41530[/ATTACH]

The whole quilt, sorry bad lighting!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]41566[/ATTACH]

Choice #2
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]41589[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-41530.jpe   attachment-41566.jpe   attachment-41589.jpe  
    Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM

next choice.

Would it look better to just use the one border of the print? I have other purple and greens that I could pull out of my stash. Maybe even a light purple? Will the green make the quilt too green?

My hope is to get the borders on by Tuesday and then Wednesday night after DH get off work (around 8:30) I'll have him help me sandwich this one and my I spy alaska, and maybe the charity quilt. We like to sandwich in 3's.
    Maybe Thursday afternoon, (after my MRI with contrast on my right shoulder) if I feel up to it I can start quilting and hopefully finish Saturday afternoon before we deliver dinner. Wish me luck!!!!
    (Oh by the way, I work Mon - Wed and have 15 people for dinner Tomorrow after work)

Choice #3
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]41375[/ATTACH]

Choice #3
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-43168.jpe  
    Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Oops, posted twice :) :) make that thrice!!!!
    Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 PM

next choice.

Would it look better to just use the one border of the print? I have other purple and greens that I could pull out of my stash. Maybe even a light purple? Will the green make the quilt too green?

My hope is to get the borders on by Tuesday and then Wednesday night after DH get off work (around 8:30) I'll have him help me sandwich this one and my I spy alaska, and maybe the charity quilt. We like to sandwich in 3's.
    Maybe Thursday afternoon, (after my MRI with contrast on my right shoulder) if I feel up to it I can start quilting and hopefully finish Saturday afternoon before we deliver dinner. Wish me luck!!!!
    (Oh by the way, I work Mon - Wed and have 15 people for dinner Tomorrow after work)

Choice #3
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-41375.jpe  
    Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 PM
    Power Poster

I like it. Love the old fashioned look. Nice quiet colors.
    Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 PM

I like the green borders best, but can't decide between the light or the dark.
    Lovely! I have fabric for one of these too, but haven't started yet. I envy you your energy level to get so much done!!!!!
    Old 08-16-2009, 11:09 PM

I like the dark green, I think there's not enough contrast to make the light one stand out. The dark green looks stunning, it edges the pattern really nicely, and the purple on the outside binding.

You've done an awesome job, and so quickly! :-)
    Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 PM
    Power Poster

If it was me, I would pick either the dark green or the purple for both borders, I think the light green is just to light, or I would even consider putting the purple in the inside and the dark green on the outside.

Great job on the quilt.
    Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Personally I like choice # 3 the best with the purple, but then I love purple. My second choice would be choice #2 with the dark green border. Lite green one is way to lite. Good luck deciding, be sure to let us see the final piece.
    Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 AM

Ditto BlueChicken's answer! It will look lovely I'm sure!