Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • What is your process? >
  • What is your process?

• What is your process?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 AM

I wash and iron fabric(starching), cut it entirely, piece it one block at a time, put the blocks together, borders and sashing, sandwich, baste and quilt. This could take me a very LONG time or it may go together quickly. It depends on my mood also. I do try to sew at least a couple hours a day. I also like cutting a whole project and bagging if I find I don't have enough time to sew. Later, it seems to go quicker. It is always a continuing learning process.
    Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm making a jewel box, too. It's one of my UFOs. I started it when my cousin-in-law's daughter was in utero. She's now six!

Each larger block is made up of sixteen smaller blocks. I make them one (smaller) block at a time, then put them together into a "larger" block. Then place them around until I get the blocks the way I want them. Here's what I've got so far:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-222886.jpe  
    Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM

I have a really hard time following patterns. I normally spend a lot of time looking at my fabric and looking at books or magazines until I get an idea in my head. Then I cut -- usually enough for 4-9 blocks, make them and see how I like the affect. If I like it I then go into production mode, as many of you have described. If I don't care for it then it is back to the drawing mode.

For me the design process is the fun and the challenge, but it takes a while.
    Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 AM

I do a lot of cutting but so often I'm not sure what size I want and so I cut quite a bit, piece the cut parts and then play with the squares on the wall and then generally end up cutting more. I can't tell you how many times I started making a throw and ended up with a queen size quilt. Of course you can only do this if you over buy your fabric or are working with scraps.If it is a regular pattern, I cut it all first and then follow the instructions with the pattern, most of the time. And if I am adding a border I have a tendency to not buy that fabric till the whole thing is together.
    Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 AM

I do the same. Just have to see a block put together. I am starting to make a pre-block after cutting all the pieces on a quilt pattern from the internet and finding they done the measurements wrong.

Originally Posted by Grammashel
    I generally cut it all, start chain piecing and then can't stand it...I have to put some blocks together to see how well they get along. Seldom change anything, just like to look at them.
    Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM

I like to do some of each step.I make queen and king sized so it gives me a break to vary the tasks.I made a jewel box for a grand daughter and it was a lot of fun.So my mood dictated which task was going tg get done.I also try to move about and not sit to long.
    Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM

I do all my cutting with the exception of my borders & binding. I iron as I go!
    Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 AM

The first time I did assembly cutting, I didn't make a test block first. Now I have a whole box of cut fabric that doesn't work for the pattern I wanted. I will always do a sample block from now on.
    Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM

It depends on what the pattern is or if I have a pattern. I like to get as much cutting done at once.
    Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM

I'm a process person. I like to see results. Unless it absolutely requires strip cutting and chain sewing I cut
    for one or two blocks then do unit piecing then press then so more units together. Too impatient to sew 500 triangles to 500 other triangles, blah, blah, blah. I want to see some blocks!