Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Whew!  My scrap-cutting is finished - for now at least! >
  • Whew! My scrap-cutting is finished - for now at least!

• Whew! My scrap-cutting is finished - for now at least!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Default Whew! My scrap-cutting is finished - for now at least!

Last weekend, I undertook a marathon of scrap-cutting! My scraps were in three different plastic containers, all thrown in there haphazardly. A while back I had cut a bunch of strips and squares, loosely based on the methods in the book "Cut the Scraps" by Joan Ford. So I was determined to cut up ALL of my randomly-sized and -shaped scraps into a more organized posse!

What I do is take each scrap and cut the largest possible square, and then work my way down. I start with 10" squares, then if I don't have quite enough for a 10", I'll cut a 9.5", and so on. All the way down to the smallest scraps, out of which I cut 2" squares. Like those Moda Candy squares I love to use, only scrappy!

My AccuQuilt Go was a huge help in doing all this. I had to hand-cut the larger sizes using my Stripology Ruler from Creative Grids, but anything 6.5" or below was cut with the AccuQuilt.

Now I have everything organized in my Sterilite plastic containers by size, all ready to be used for something awesome. Here's a picture of some of the collection before I put it away. You can't tell from the photo but some of these stacks are pretty high!! This was a huge project that I'm glad to have finished but it sure is fun to look at all of these neat bits and pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails scraps.jpg  
    Old 08-19-2015, 07:52 PM

I've been doing this, too. Plan to cut a bunch more the next few days--such a good feeling when they are organized.

Great job!
    Old 08-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Good job ~ all ready to be sewn into great quilts and other projects!
    Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 PM

What a brilliant way to store all the scrappy bits. Will be adopting this to tidy up the scrap box. Thanks.
    Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 PM

Great work. The hardest part is now done......you are ready to go with whatever takes your fancy.

Don't forget to show us how they end up.
    Old 08-19-2015, 10:33 PM

Good job! I spent about a week just cutting up my scraps from one box. Have used them to make two lap size, two baby, and blocks for two more lap quilt tops so far and still have tons of squares and strips left. Plus I have two big tubs of scraps I haven't touched yet.
    Old 08-19-2015, 10:56 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

Good for you. a great quilt awaits. I have done this a few times and always like the precuts I get. I like lots of 2.5" squares because they are in so many patterns. Vestibule is a pattern I have used several times, sometimes as an eye spy (squares of 2.5" and 5.5" and strips of 2.5x 5.5) Don't forget Dresden/fan blades for the narrow bits.
    Attached Thumbnails vestebule.jpg   crowned-plate.jpg  

Last edited by QM; 08-19-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 AM

Me too! Whilst the Bernina was in having a service and a board replaced (poor Bernice!), I decided to tidy up all my scraps and bits cutting them all up into strips and squares ready for something.....inspiration......Bernice coming home.....sigh!
    Old 08-20-2015, 03:10 AM

I had started this at the beginning of the year with one box, but I kept the little scraps, and sewed anything bigger than 3/4 inch wide onto strips of calculator paper. I think I enjoyed that more than making a quilt top, cause there was no rhyme or reason, just random sewing. But, it's still waiting to be sandwiched, oh well, one day.
    Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 AM

Three cheers for you !!! I'm sure you feel great to have your scraps under control and ready to make into something wonderful. I, too, am using my Go to get the older , cut-into pieces in my stash cut into managable pieces , rather than letting them languish in the cabinet. Good for you!