Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Whirling Leaves Quilt - My 1st real quilt attempt - a OBW >
  • Whirling Leaves Quilt - My 1st real quilt attempt - a OBW

• Whirling Leaves Quilt - My 1st real quilt attempt - a OBW

Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Never could find the doohicky that connects the camera to the computer, so DH went out and bought a new gadget. Now I finally can post pictures of the One Block Wonder wall quilt I made from Ralph Lauren's Lakota Paisley fabric. I made it last Autumn when I first decided to get serious about learning to quilt. Being a newbie I made a mistake in choosing the fabric, but somehow that turned out to be serendipitous, because I now have something I would never have attempted if I had known better.
    Even though that fabric was gorgeous, it has a heavy suede-like quality. By the time I had it all pieced, I realized that getting a needle through all those heavy layers for quilting was not something I could do. So I used fusible batting and we use it as a wall hanging. The colors suit our great love of Autumn, so I named the quilt “Whirling Leaves”. (It felt a little presumptuous to name it, but I did it anyway to have some fun.)

My second quilt, I gave away for a Pet Spay-a-Stray Raffle and never did get more than fuzzy cell phone shots of it. It was kind of a log cabin with fabric prints I made from Henrietta Ronner-Knip’s Cat paintings in the big center squares. It is a Cat-Knip quilt. :lol: I’m going to put two awful cell phone photos below too. I didn't think to put a label on it either. Lessons learned along the way. Not to mention all the other lessons I've been learning the hard way about quilting. (For instance I had never even heard of squaring off the quilt.) :oops:

Now though, I expect to improve in leaps and bounds as I have discovered you all and the font of combined wisdom and good advice on this terrific Quilting Board!

The Whirling Leaves Quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]246573[/ATTACH]

Whirling Leaves Close-up
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]246574[/ATTACH]

Ralph Lauren Lakota Paisley close-ups (this is a Huge print so I have put two.)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]246575[/ATTACH]

Cat Knip quilt close ups
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]246577[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-246567.jpe   attachment-246568.jpe   attachment-246569.bmp   attachment-246570.bmp   attachment-246571.jpe  

attachment-246572.jpe  
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
    Never could find the doohicky that connects the camera to the computer, so DH went out and bought a new gadget. Now I finally can post pictures of the One Block Wonder wall quilt I made from Ralph Lauren's Lakota Paisley fabric. I made it last Autumn when I first decided to get serious about learning to quilt. Being a newbie I made a mistake in choosing the fabric, but somehow that turned out to be serendipitous, because I now have something I would never have attempted if I had known better.
    Even though that fabric was gorgeous, it has a heavy suede-like quality. By the time I had it all pieced, I realized that getting a needle through all those heavy layers for quilting was not something I could do. So I used fusible batting and we use it as a wall hanging. The colors suit our great love of Autumn, so I named the quilt “Whirling Leaves”. (It felt a little presumptuous to name it, but I did it anyway to have some fun.)

My second quilt, I gave away for a Pet Spay-a-Stray Raffle and never did get more than a fuzzy cell phone shot of it. It was kind of a log cabin with fabric prints I made from Henrietta Ronner-Knip’s Cat paintings in the big center squares. It is a Cat-Knip quilt. :lol: I’m going to put that awful cell phone photo below too. I didn't think to put a label on it either. Lessons learned along the way. Not to mention all the other lessons I've been learning the hard way about quilting. (For instance I had never even heard of squaring off the quilt.) :oops:

Now though, I expect to improve in leaps and bounds as I have discovered you all and the font of combined wisdom and good advice on this terrific Quilting Board!
    cool !!
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

Beautiful choice for a OBW. It is stunning
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Wow -- it's beautiful
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM
    Power Poster

OOOH! Pretty! I'm so glad you pushed thru to finish it, and now you know what kind of fabric will NOT work well for a quilt.
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM

I like it! First OBW that could inspire me to make one myself. Good job!
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM

Wow...I was trying to imagine what the fabric looked like before you started, and I totally didn't get it right (in my mind). That is an awesome quilt. THANKS for sharing.
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

Beautiful
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 AM
    Banned

Wow! This turned out beautifully!
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Nicely done! I like how the ivory background shows up! <3