Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Workspace Redo/Made Ironing Surface Too! >
  • Workspace Redo/Made Ironing Surface Too!

• Workspace Redo/Made Ironing Surface Too!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 AM

MO MO: Your flower garden is jealous of your time in the quilting room...I'm jealous of your quilting space. Wow! What a fun, nice, spacious room to play. I love your ironing area as well. Good job. I can tell there is going to be a ton of creativity happening in this space.
    Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
    That looks wonderful, what a great space! And like you, I made me a 24" x 48" ironing board today as well. Great minds think alike, eh? Mine looks like yours, too. Did you use duck cloth on the cover?
    I want to make one of these BIG ironing boards! What did you use between the duck cloth and the wood? Did you shrink the duck cloth first?
    Old 07-22-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Originally Posted by Eddie
    That looks wonderful, what a great space! And like you, I made me a 24" x 48" ironing board today as well. Great minds think alike, eh? Mine looks like yours, too. Did you use duck cloth on the cover?
    I want to make one of these BIG ironing boards! What did you use between the duck cloth and the wood? Did you shrink the duck cloth first?
    I layered it with Insulbrite as the bottom layer next to the wood, and then a layer of Warm & Natural cotton batting on top of that, followed by the layer of duck cloth on top of that. I stapled the 3 layers to the back of the 2' x 4' plywood sheet, each layer stapled separately so I could pull them tight individually. The Insulbright was stapled closest to the edge, with the batting stapled a little further out, and then the duck cloth still a little further out so that I was always stapling through a single layer of cloth. I didn't pre-shrink the duck cloth, I just ran the steam iron over it and it seemed to help it become even a little tighter than I was able to stretch it by hand. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this big ironing board, should have made me one long ago!
    Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM

OMG, I just love your room. And it looks so big and so tidy!! And your ironing board is just awesome!