Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Your opinion please--what's wrong here? >
  • Your opinion please--what's wrong here?

• Your opinion please--what's wrong here?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 AM
    Power Poster

I agree that you did a great job and I agree that the eye has nowhere to rest. Every part has a similar degree of busy. I would use the same fabric from the sashing in the final border (nothing added) and the pieced border could be separated from the center with a slightly wider solid frame. What a great memory.
    Old 05-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Glad you have come to some conclusions with the mom about how to make it look the way you want ... the right people feeling the right way ... that is the best thing - - better than anyone's opinion, to be sure! <wave> :thumbup:
    Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Looks very nice to me. I like it. :thumbup:
    Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM
    Power Poster

So glad you and Mom are happy now...I still say its a wonderful gesture for you to do and very very generous to boot!
    Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I think it is very nice the way it is. The combination of the floral and the shirt fabrics connects the girl back to her father very well.
    If you have left over cuffs and collars, I would use that treatment for the boys quilt also and have a special boy fabric for sashing between the blocks.
    You did a good job.
    I agree. You have done a wonderful thing. I believe you could do anything you want and she won't see it. I believe she will only see her father's memory and will not look beyond that. I understand you want to have the 'feel good about it' feeling when you are finished. I like it just like it is with nothing more. If you feel like it really needs something more I agree with adding a border in the same flowered fabric if you have some left. She will love it, treasure it and cherish it.
    Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 AM

What a special memory. It is fine just as it is. If you're happy w/ it leave it. If not, change what YOU want to.
    Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 AM

I think that the work and love that you put into this is apparent...please, don't change a thing. The mom knew her thoughts when she chose the fabrics, and I wouldn't even express an opinion one way or the other. It is a beautiful quilt, and you did a wonderful job. Being entrusted with such a weighty responsibility as this is to your honor. You did great, and it's beautiful.
    Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 AM

How wonderful mom feels comfortable enough to make suggestions on changes and that you can accept them. I understood the flowers and thought it gave a bit of feminine touch to the masculine body of the quilt, sort of like Dad's and daughter's arms around each other. Beautiful memories for them.
    Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 AM

It's perfect! You have given them a beautiful memory of their dad! Years ago I made a cancer quilt for my Grandpa who was dying of lung cancer. I held off giving it to him, thinking he would give up.(Not clear thinking, I know). I gave it to my grandmother after he passed and told her that every time she wrapped herself in it she should think of Grandpa giving her a giant hug. I made just over 400 quilts for cancer several years ago for a group here in our town.It's very rewarding.Your kids will cherish these for years to come!
    Old 05-21-2010, 10:03 AM

It's perfect! You have given them a beautiful memory of their dad! Years ago I made a cancer quilt for my Grandpa who was dying of lung cancer. I held off giving it to him, thinking he would give up.(Not clear thinking, I know). I gave it to my grandmother after he passed and told her that every time she wrapped herself in it she should think of Grandpa giving her a giant hug. I made just over 400 quilts for cancer several years ago for a group here in our town.It's very rewarding.Your kids will cherish these for years to come!