2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

tammyk, that sure sucks. I'm sorry for the disappointment. Sometimes in our hurry to git'r done, we ambush ourselves. Can you pick at the bits and patiently get them off? Can you take the bad pieces off and applique something else over it? There is always a solution and for an art quilt you can always say "Hey, I meant to do it that way!"
Old 04-13-2015, 05:11 AM

I just joined the forum and I found this thread this morning. It's April 13 and so far, I haven't purchased any fabric this year. Oh wait...I did have to buy just enough to match the fabric I already had at home for the duffel bag I made for my grandson. I think that was maybe 1 1/2 yards. I used fabrics I already had in my stash for the bucket hat I made for him and I've been using stash fabric for other projects.

I've wanted to only use up my stash and not buy any new fabric for quite a while, but I didn't know there were so many others like me. This is quite inspiring. I searched through my tote that housed my scraps and leftover strip sets and blocks and made up two baby quilts. I had to order another roll of batting....much cheaper in the long run that way....so now I can quilt them. I have other scrap quilt patterns I can't wait to make and I've cut the fabric for one, but it's finding the time to make them that's hard. I work full time and have other projects I've been working on, but I can't wait to start working on quilts again, if only to finally work through the stash.

Thanks for a good thread and I need to go back and read through the entire thing.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:17 AM

What a great way to use up small scraps. I like that one.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 AM

Jarenie, What a great way to use up small scraps. I like that one.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:28 AM

Laurie - welcome to the Board and Moratorium.

Tammyk - so sorry about the art quilt. Perhaps what others have posted might work. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:31 AM

Laurie: Welcome. Your are an inspiration! You are doing a lot better, this year than I am. I've had a number of falls from grace but I keep on trying. I figure that some effort and curbing fabric acquisition is better than none. Again, welcome.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Definitely this trip has helped me...one event that I was buying too much fabric was when my visiting sister had a look at my stash and declared, "Gee, you have $1000 worth of fabric here..." and well it got me thinking that I could spend my money differently. So I imposed a $ limit on what I spend which is working for me. Shop hop is happening this weekend....QBuddy and I haven't done one in a while...I must stay strong......
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 AM

Emma, when you're a thrifty Yankee like me, it's easy to not spend money. The closest fabric shops are an hour in any direction, so if I happen to be close to one, I'm usually tired (because it's the end of the day) or the weather has been so cold I just don't want to get out of my car again and I just want to get home. This has been one very cold winter up our way and I'm usually down near the fabric stores after the sun has gone down and it's after a full day of work and the temps have dropped further. It's extra easy to not spend money.

Besides, some of the fabric I have really needs to be used. I bought far too much because I really liked it, but it's got to go. I don't want to bring new stuff in until the old stuff is gone and I decided that last year. I've just been too busy laying new floors and painting rooms to be able to follow through. Maybe this year I'll be able to get to my sewing.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:52 AM

I forgot the picture again. It must be freudian.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:04 AM

Welcome tammyk!
Welcome Mitch's Gram!
It's fun here and so helpful.