2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

On the whole we are all doing pretty well I reckon. Emma that is a cool haul.....I had a 'slight' slip off the wagon, went to buy thread and eyelets the other day and husband rummaged in the remnant box and found a couple of large pieces of a nice green quilting fabric and some calico (got the price bundled for $2.00). Managed to tear myself away from all the gorgeous bolts of quilting fabric and stuck to my list. Am going through stash to make a pile of baby stuff for next grandchild due in August....will show pics when done. Keep strong quilters and 'shop the stash' first
Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 AM

ZoZee: What a great question. Whenever I buy a box of fabrics and scraps I ask myself the same question. My main goal is to figure out if the price I paid for the entire lot is worth what I got. This particular group cost $15. There were a lot of pieces that were at least a yard long, but there were two pieces that are at least 4 to 5 yards. One is a good quality blue and red flannel and the other is a red and black figured cotton. I have actually been looking for the blue and red flannel with no luck so that was a real find. The red and black is really pretty so that was a win. In the group there were many vintage pieces which are always fun and will be used as especially interesting pieces in scrappy quilts. Lots of fabric that reads as white but has small figures on it, especially nice because I never seem to buy that type of fabric. So for me it was a good deal. Back to your question, "How much was usable?" My best quess is about 75%. A lot of it was summer weight cottons probably meant for clothing, but even that will be passed on to Goodwill. In terms of value, that doesn't take into account the fun I had sorting through. Around about way to say it was really worth the price and even at 35% I still think it would be worth it.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 AM

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for this thread. I only started quilting about 2 years ago and thanks to three sisters inherited a huge instant stash boxes and boxes of it. But I kept buying fabric even though I already felt overwhelmed by all the stash I was given. Most of it was not really to my particular taste but will be used for scrappy quilts I learned if you don't like it cut it smaller! Lately I have been buying way to much as in this stash there is almost no solids, lights or background fabric, but while there buying I was still adding focal pieces. After taking three days to read thru here this weekend I decided I need to jump on this wagon cause I too am tired of being run over by it. Keeping this thread in mind when I went to the quilt show this weekend I bought nothing!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Altairss..welcome..we do inspire one another..being run over describes many of us at times...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Altairss, sometimes we actually enjoy getting run over but for the most part, we keep each other honest.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 AM

Altairss, welcome to the group. I haven't posted in awhile because I was working from stash. But then Craftsy had the Fossil Fern box (90 FQs) at the lowest price I had ever seen- yes, it came - I love it. Going to be my Birthday gift. Then I was surfing the web for a tutorial for a small tooth fairy door hanger and saw some fabric that just had to be acquired. Anyway, I showed DH the fabric and he said get a few yards. I told him how funky and limited audience prints are difficult to find later so I would order ample yardage- 12 yards. I will post a pic when finished with my project. THUD, THUD, THUD.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Welcome Altairss, enjoy the ride here, we have fun!
Old 06-08-2015, 12:40 PM

I don't know if I fell off the wagon exactly but I did spend some money! No fabric but I bought a quilting frame. I've been looking at long arms and they really intimidate me. Went to the SLC show a while back and I gulped at the price tags. So I've left everything on the back burner.
I found something that I believe will work for me at fractions of the cost I've been looking at. It's called a shortE and designed by Eileen Toche, she is the owner of Designs in Machine Embroidery. there is a video on her blog www.shop.dzgns.com/ if you want to take a look at it.
I think this quilting frame will help with my limited fmq that I do along with using the embroidery feature and also help with the sandwiching that stops me cold. I've got to start quilting the flimsies, they are piling up!.... But not until we move completely. It's looking like it might happen at the end of the month!
I've been cutting scraps and I really have a lot of them. I think that's why I'm not buying more fabric. I'm really overloaded in that department.

Last edited by Rhonda Lee; 06-08-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S
Zozee: Welcome! Yeah the possible problem with this group is we go through periods of being really, really good then we get really, really bad. However we all agree that we do better together than we do apart. I usually do pretty well through the summer but when quilting season rolls into fall and a lot of really good sales happen I get in a lot of trouble. You'll find out we have multiple dispensation for road trips, shop hops, gift certificates, a change in the weather well you get the idea. Again welcome.
Good to know about dispensation for Shop Hops!! st day out on the Wisconsin State Hop & I ran into a Hearts Content Laundry Basket fat quarter bundle. It looked lonely so when I got home I went online & picked up the matching batiks. Now I need to slow down or grind to a halt on purchases.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:14 PM

Loving all the new members and stories of staying on and falling off the wagon. I wanted to mention one thing I do when I receive or find a very thin fabric i.e. summer clothes type. If possible and the print is not too dark, I use that for foundation fabric for strip quilts. Just cut into squares about an inch larger than what I want my finished block to be and start sewing strips on as leader/ender projects. And, as if I don't scrimp and save enough, the other day I took some weird wrapping fabric that came over our new recliners (we bought them a year ago but I just shoved the wrappings in a bag) and cut out the inside flimsy white fabric. It will be perfect for more foundation fabric. I have even used dryer sheets (ironed flat after about 3 times in the dryer) and have enough foundation fabric now that I could make at least 3 scrappy strip quilts if I had the time. Everyone keep sharing stories. One day, I will share pictures, if and when something gets done..not this summer though, sadly.