2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 AM

Oksewglad the only thing I could think of was a nine patch. I recently did it (for a donation quilt) in three fabrics and liked the way the fabric "walked" across the quilt.
happylab you did very good in your shop hop trip.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 AM

I'm sorry oksewglad I wish I knew enough to help you. None of the 3 quilts I have pieced have been particularly easy to my mind. But then I've only done 3.

I did find a fabric from my stash to add to the license plate fabric for the future tote so I'm glad about that. It is a fabric that I probably would never use otherwise. I'm also going to use it for the inside of the wallet that I'm signed up to make in class. I want to learn how to do snaps, and zippers on the top of pockets.

So some of the fabric is leaving. And there is so much scrap from the blooming nine patch that when I get around to working on that again I'll probably have enough to finish my collage quilt.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

OKSewglad, I just made this Snowflake Quilt
http://www.quiltviews.com/free-patte...g-from-bernina
It went together really quickly. Basically, 2 colors and a background. You could use just the 3 fabrics, or 2 color families and the background. Although the quilt name is Snowflake, it really doesn't look wintery!
I am also happy to report that the only things I purchased at the quilt show were 2 books (from the discount book seller) and 1 bag of batik scraps in colors I'd never purchase as yardage. It was a lovely show.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Thanks PaperPrincess...I downloaded it...I usually like to sew bigger quilts, but this is a nice throw for winter...and yes it can look different than a snowflake using different colors...A-OK patterns have 5 fabric quilts...I'm making one at work...again it's smaller than I like and have enlarged it in EQ and varied the block a bit...last night I started arranging my fabric mess by yardage; i.e. less than 1, 1, 1 1/2, 2. Any thing longer I tagged with a small piece of cardstock and a safety pin...these are fabrics not destined for a specific project and know I can grab what I need for this stash reduction plan...gotta get to work...have a good day...
Old 08-16-2016, 10:36 AM

Sounds like you're on a stash reducing process that's really going to work. Way to go.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:00 PM

Oksewglad: A gal at a quilt shop wrote the yardage of each piece she was buying on painter's tape with a permanent marker and then put it on the fabric. She said she uses the painter's tape because it doesn't leave any residue.

Connie
Old 08-17-2016, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Oh now that's an idea, Connie....thanks...bad part is I'm almost done. Just my luck as I have it all sorted...
Old 08-17-2016, 05:01 AM

Isn't that the way it usually happens? Good ideas are always just a little late.

I am happy to report that I started the tote today so the Quilter's License Plate fabric is being used and is no longer a part of stash. I'm also using stash fabric for the lining and I pieced the backing from existing pieces I've saved. So it will be a very thrifty bag.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 AM

Paper princess that's a lovely quilt. So many quilts I want to do! Congrats on your willpower. Everyone seems to be doing much better than I at the moratorium lately.
I just finished ordering 3 fabrics for a quilt for husband and another 5 yards of white muslin. Don't count those as they go right into a quilt and the white is for background. Can't believe I'm already out of my bolt of muslin (purchased last year).

I know muslin is probably old timey but I love the feel (while sewing and being under the quilt) and drape of a good muslin.
As far as reducing stash I am making a quilt from scraps called Take Five (found free online). I guess scraps have to be reduced as well. I'm enjoying this a lot. Seeing this fabric or that and remembering the quilt I had made and who it went to. Since it's bringing back so many memories this one will be for me though originally I had thought a donation quilt.

I'm also pulling fabric (from stash) to make a bargello bed runner.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM

I finished my AK Crossraod quilt top. All the squares are scraps, the borders were bought to finish the project, which I bought 2 weeks ago. I'm excited about getting it quilted in a few months. [ATTACH=CONFIG]556199[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg