Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 07-05-2016, 04:51 AM

So cute zozee. Love your quilt and your layout of the dog fabrics.
    Old 07-05-2016, 07:57 AM

Janice - Congratulations on the first finish for July and I love the quilt. Isn't is funny how those BOM quilts wind up being UFO. I think I have three of them.

Zozee - What a cure dogie quilt and I love the way you quilted a bone in the center of each square. Some little boy will love it.
    Old 07-05-2016, 10:58 AM
    Power Poster

what a cute quilt. love the pups.
    Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 PM

Great quilt Janice! It sure must feel good to get that one off your list - 15 years!
    Old 07-06-2016, 05:38 AM

I am catching up with the finishes for the end of June.
    Anoka--Fantastic! The orange is soothing. That is the color I have been contemplating for my bedroom.
    Rryder-- You are an artist. Beautiful!
    Zozee-Congrats on your first PL finish! I love it, what is the pattern? I have been with the local group for almost three years. I do the same thing and make multiple version of the same quilt or using the same fabric(s). But sometimes you cannot look at it anymore and have to give the fabric back to the PL group stash. LOL
    Janice--A quilt 15 years in the making is quite an accomplishment and this one is just gorgeous.

This week, while working on a UFO, I realized that the quilt is ready when it is the right time for the quilt to be ready. Janice's finish just reinforces this lesson for me. It isn't always on my time table. It may be that I don't quite have the skills yet to finish or its proper recipient hasn't been identified as of yet or it is just not the right time for the recipient to receive said gift. It has been liberating to realize this fact. So when I get stuck on a quilt, and cannot finish, I am not going to be so hard on myself if it ends up in the basket with the other UFOs.
    Old 07-06-2016, 06:06 AM

Hi everyone!
    I know I've been a bit incommunicado the past month or so. I've been working around 55-60 hours per week on the job, and my commute is an hour, so that leaves very little time for quilting or even surfing on the web. I've looked back through the more recent posts, and as always, there's some lovely work being done!

Zozee, love the puppies!!
    Janice, I know I have some old UFO's, but I don't think any of them are 15 years old - but love your anyway!!
    Rryder, as usual, your artistry is amazing - and I'm always a sucker for anything music-related!!
    Anoka, you may have started a new fad - drone art pics!

For me, I did not finish anything in June.
    Not "mine" anyway. I did have a customer quilt that I completed, but I don't count that since (1) it wasn't mine and (2) it doesn't qualify as a UFO and (3) it did nothing to reduce my personal inventory... except for using up some batting.

However, since I had a long weekend for the 4th of July, I DID manage to finish a wall-hanging that is a gift for a young friend who is a Clemson University fanatic. So, that means I have a "FINISH!!!" for July.
    I found the embroidery designs online, and used a panto of footballs and football helmets.
    Attached Thumbnails 20160704_113234.jpg   20160704_113330.jpg   20160704_113356.jpg   20160704_113415.jpg   20160704_113315.jpg  

Old 07-06-2016, 01:54 PM

Way cool quilting Leta. Your friend will love it!

Rob
    Old 07-06-2016, 01:55 PM

Silliness--It wasn't a pattern. In fact, it didn't start out being anything more than 6.5 squares with one consistent fabric for sashing. Haha. I never do something simply when I can complicate it. :P I ended up needing to cut a couple down to 5.5. A couple of woopsies in my measuring or cutting very early on meant having to double sash those blocks. So I did, and I liked the look and then purposefully mixed and matched as I went along.

I'm not sure I've ever done a quilt exactly the way I started out envisioning it, and I have yet to use a bona fide pattern . Might actually save me some work, who knows! But then again, I'd probably veer off...I can't help myself!

Leta---the Clemson wallhanging is great! Your friend the Tigers fan is gonna be thrilled.
    Old 07-06-2016, 04:20 PM

Zozee- Thanks for the reply. I will just try to emulate what you did with yours. I like the way it looks. I am working on a PL quilt and I have the blocks made but I don't love it. I think your double sashed woopsy blocks might be the answer that I am looking for. I forgot to mention I loved your FMQ bones.

Leta-the quilting is just adorable. This inspires me to keep working on my FMQ. One day I will take the leap to move beyond the meander.
    Old 07-06-2016, 05:55 PM

Well, thank you, silliness! Sometimes happy accidents happen . You'll notice that some are single sashed (that'll save you work) and some are double, but I kept to a handful of prints and colors to provide cohesiveness.