• QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma
    Thank you all for the compliments.
    TKHooper, it looks lovely.
    wildyard, sounds like no fun. As a longarm quilter for customers, we cringe at sheets being the backing let alone anything else. Sheets have a purpose, but not always easy to quilt for backing. Did you try fabric softener? I use that on the sheets and batiks if I am having issues with getting thru the layers. Just a thought.
    Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion, QM! I am machine quilting and getting thru the layers is not the problem, it's just how very heavy the quilt is to handle as I move it around for the quilting. I have a bad neck and shoulder, plus fibromyalgia so it gets problematic moving around something big and heavy... lol, that is putting it lightly.
    Old 08-02-2016, 05:42 PM

QM, congrats on the finish, what a great keepsake. So pretty.

wow, everyone did a great job on our challenge last month. Such great finishes!!!

i decided to finish a few small projects to off set my larger projects. I finished another small project for Christmas in July theme. So I'm a few days late. [ATTACH=CONFIG]555200[/ATTACH]I started this last year and messed it up. I found it last week and decided I could finish it and have it for this years use. Next projects will be to complete a few throws and table runners. My weekend project for the QB's VQA weekend (August 5th to 7th).
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Old 08-02-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
    Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion, QM! I am machine quilting and getting thru the layers is not the problem, it's just how very heavy the quilt is to handle as I move it around for the quilting. I have a bad neck and shoulder, plus fibromyalgia so it gets problematic moving around something big and heavy... lol, that is putting it lightly.

Well, it must be a bear to wrestle while quilting because it's so heavy, but just think how cozy it'll be during an upstate New York mid-winter snow storm! I do hope you're keeping it for yourself after all this work. You know, like a weight-lifting trophy.
    Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 PM
    Power Poster

Love the FMQ swirls in the snowman...well done, happylab.I took pic with the Kindle tonight...still can't post on my computer which has camera downloads, so you will have to deal with my inexperience with the tablet...here's the cow quilt. I got the pinwheel as HST'S years ago...found the pink fabrics to go with on sale...it sat for a while...2 years ago I dug the browns from my stash and sewed the cow...finally got it finished a couple weeks ago...and now quilted and bound. [ATTACH=CONFIG]555212[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_20160802_2212451_rewind_kindlephoto-1963686.jpg  
    Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Oh my gosh! This train is rolling, rolling, rolling! That cow is too cute!

I'm loving Xmas in July happylab.
    Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 AM

oksewglad, that cow is adorable! I see the hearts quilted on it and love them!
    Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 AM

I just returned from my quick trip to Idaho/Utah. The quilts I finished in July were delivered and received well. I'm told my 5 yr old great nephew squealed at his new John Deere quilt. And here is a shot of my 3 yr old great niece in her surprise princess quilt.

I decided to pull out a mini quilt I started last year sometime....I truly could not figure out where my Quilty mind was when I started that mess and I bagged it back up for maybe a September finish. Instead, I bound my SunBonnetSue Grandma Quilt wall hanging. The blocks were suppose to go on the medallion quilt in my last list of finishes but I choose to just FINISH that and used those blocks here. I admit it's not my favorite. I wish I had kept to just pink and purple Sue's. There is blue in the blocks, but not much. It was intended for a SisterInLaw I'm not currently getting along with but the Sue's took MUCH longer to embroider up and I've had second thoughts about giving (even an item I'm not fond of) to someone who would probably run over it with her car after she used it for a placemat. At least I have one August finish. Now to finish my next Grandma Quilt (sadly, there are still many.)
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 AM

SheriR I love your sunbonnet sue. Definitely not to go to someone who will run over it with her car. I'm normally not a subonnet sue fan but that one is just terrific. Where did you find the embroidery blocks?
    Old 08-03-2016, 03:48 AM

Lovely finishes quiltermomma and tkhooper. WOW.
    SheriR that looks like one happy girl snuggled in her new quilt.
    What a fun quilt oksewglad. Love that the cow seems ready to chew on the flowers.
    Old 08-03-2016, 03:50 AM

Happylab that is such a cute snowman and the background fabric is a wonderful choice I think.