• QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 08-09-2016, 11:59 AM

Good job TkHooper! Interesting pattern.

Rob
    Old 08-09-2016, 12:03 PM

I like your colors; they appear soft. Congrats on your UFO finish. Another one off the pile. Toot, Toot![ QUOTE=tkhooper;7622624]UFO finish. The spanish bond raggedy brick lap quilt was suppose to be finished last year. But the quilting I wanted for it ended up taking me much longer than expected. But it's done now and in the dryer right now.[/QUOTE]
    Old 08-09-2016, 05:14 PM

great finishes!
    Old 08-09-2016, 05:50 PM

you do have the unfinished seam at the finish of each block. Kind of finicky but with a one inch seam allowance it isn't to bad.

The pattern was on a brick laying website. I thought it might be fun to do one quilt using each of the patterns. What took the time was doing a different straight line quilting for each block. I ended up changing thread constantly, lol.
    Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 PM

The home spun fabrics were really soft and responded well to the raggedy brick technique.
    Old 08-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Well, it's obvious that I won't be getting anything of my own done for awhile.
    In addition to the "horse" consignment quilt, one of my regular longarm customers came by this weekend with a top for me to quilt for her. She mentioned that this is "the first of several Christmas presents" that she is making... which means she's going to have some more for me to quilt over the next several weeks. And she's buying one of my earlier UFO's!! So, that's way cool!!

I did a naughty thing last month...
    I feel off the "no more fabric" wagon.
    A good friend of mine was downsizing after his mom's death, and had TONS of fabric for sale.
    I bought a ton.
    I'm almost serious. Well, not a ton, but one "group" of fabrics was "50lbs for $60".... OK, so that's only a little over $1/lb. I just looked online, and the $/lb of greige goods right now is 73 cents/lb. I have no idea how much per yard that translates to. And this is NOT scraps - it's either yardage or fat quarters at the very least. He's a good pal, so I know he's not sending me any crappy "el cheapo" fabric.

Now, I have to figure out where I'm going to hide it from hubby.

And my local fabric wholesaler is doing their "open to the public" this weekend. I'm going after extra wide fabrics for backings, and if I can find some killer deals on white-on-white, I'm going to grab a bolt or two of that, for background fabric for all the scrap quilts that appear to be in my future. Plus, I need another roll of batting, especially since my customer will be bringing more Christmas gifts to be quilted!

I did some rearranging and cleaning in my sewing room last weekend, and was once again reminded that I really DID NOT need to buy Mark's stash.

Well, at least when I retire, I won't have to buy any fabric.
    Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bug Lady
    Oh My--you have brought back some memories, Leta. I finished my undergraduate from the University of South Carolina as I had been living on Hilton Head Island for about a year and half. Of course that was about a bazillion years ago and remember the rivalry between Clemson and USC.

Nice job on your quilt as it just looks so fun. Thanks for sharing and my trip down memory lane.
    Karen, the Colorado girl who is now in Texas.
    Karen, the rivalry is still alive and well!
    The bad thing is, my daughter is a NCSU alumni! I'm going to have to hurry up and use those Clemson scraps up before she visits again, else she may disown me for having "anything that's not State" stuff in the house.

I live right near the NC/SC state line, and there's a sub-campus of USC here in town - which means there's a lot of people nearby that would give me the hairy eyeball for having Clemson stuff around!
    Old 08-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

And still not done, but one stage is finished. Still need to sandwich, quilt and bind. At the rate I'm going and the size of this baby, that should be about November (105 square). Moving over to smaller projects to actually get something finished. [ATTACH=CONFIG]555755[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 AM
    Power Poster

Wow what a project....beautiful krisb
    Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 AM

That is an undertaking, but looking so worth it.